PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Light Tackle advantages.

Moderator: Paul Arden

Willy Franzen
Answers: 0

Light Tackle advantages.

Post by Willy Franzen »

Paul Arden wrote:Never tried dropping a loop; is this fast water? With trout I don’t strike but I rarely give slack. Are you swinging or teasing them?l
Swinging in fast water. The idea is that it allows the fish to take the fly and go back down--or something like that. I haven't tangled with enough steelhead to test it against other methods, but I learned it from a guy who I trust has. I think you generally want your loop to be about the body length of the fish, so I imagine you'd want to drop a much smaller loop if you were swinging wets for trout or something. I've definitely encountered poor hook ups when swinging for trout on a tight line. I think dropping a loop would help, but I haven't swung soft hackles in forever.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Light Tackle advantages.

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s very interesting. I’ve been having a problem hooking Snakehead recently. I don’t know what the answer is. I’ve always gone with the idea that to catch one you lose two (or whatever) but on days when you only have one or two takes only that’s not good enough.

I’m not sure what the answer is. Different hook configuration, sunk fly, some sort of strike? Dunno but I lost a fish today that I had worked for and the barstool got off. Hats off to them for keeping me on the edge. He/she ran 15 feet, opened its mouth and spat out the fly!!! :D

I can laugh about it now, but it’s not good enough. It’s hard enough to get the shots in. So this week I will do something different.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Light Tackle advantages.

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Paul Arden wrote:Never tried dropping a loop; is this fast water? With trout I don’t strike but I rarely give slack. Are you swinging or teasing them?
I often used the loop on Atlantic salmon, if the current was fast enough. On Sea trout stripping the fly mostly was clearly better in the same rivers.
Regards
B
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Light Tackle advantages.

Post by Paul Arden »

I've been trying to teach myself to let go of the line while stripping if a fish launches for the popper at the start of the strip. I still have not managed to do this yet!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Light Tackle advantages.

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

I find it rather tough to let go line when you strip into the fish. Most salmon fishermen hit it immediately when a take takes place during stripping. They only let go line during the downstream swing. Maybe adding Power gum (drennan) could give you a bit of extra time before your strip runs too strong into the take?
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Light Tackle advantages.

Post by Paul Arden »

That an interesting idea, but I think it needs more delay, almost like a big trout eating a dry fly. I’ve seen them open their mouth to suck the fly and I’ve pulled it away - many times in fact!!! If I could train myself to slip the line at these moments, pause a couple of seconds and then strike I think this would actually work.

On the Flavio strike video.
https://www.facebook.com/Sexyloops/vide ... 78?sfns=mo
the fish takes the fly clean by charging out the water, turns around and as it’s swimmimg away some 3 or 4 seconds later Flavio finally makes contact with the fish. I don’t think missed fish are the Snakehead spitting out the fly, but rather pulling the fly before the fish has fully closed its mouth.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Light Tackle advantages.

Post by Graeme H »

Love that hit, but please don't use that fckn annoying FB watch "feature" again! I want to see the video a few times, not be shunted off onto some other video without choosing to do so.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Light Tackle advantages.

Post by Paul Arden »

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flyfishing”