PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Icaria Greece?

Moderator: Paul Arden

tinpusher
Answers: 0

Icaria Greece?

Post by tinpusher »

I'm working on my FFI CI and will be taking my rod on vacation to practice. Our Air B&B is right on the the ocean so I'm thinking I better drag along some flies and tippet. I'm thinking a hand full of Clousers and maybe some poppers but have no idea what fish to expect. I can't seem to find much info regarding fishing on Icaria Island through the googler so I thought I'd ask here. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks (ευχαριστώ)
Doug
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Icaria Greece?

Post by Paul Arden »

I have no idea Doug. I don’t know anyone who has fished there and don’t have any contacts for you. I’m sure you’ll find garfish. It will be interesting to hear from someone who has been there.

Cheers, Paul

PS I’ll try asking FB Sexyloops.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
tinpusher

Icaria Greece?

Post by tinpusher »

Thanks Paul.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Icaria Greece?

Post by Paul Arden »

No replies! It will be interesting to hear how you get on, Doug!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
crunch

Icaria Greece?

Post by crunch »

I have spent many hours blind casting various salt water flyes on few Greece islands I have visited without takes and I have seen only rare "followers" which I would call a game fish. I have got few mullet bites when matching the hatch offering a Bread fly :p

Esa
Nick

Icaria Greece?

Post by Nick »

Fishing pressure everywhere in the Med is heavy, but there are fish. Bass, sea bream and mullet are targets. For bass, clousers and poppers etc., shrimpy sort of things for bream. Early mornings and late evenings.

Mullet are the most challenging, but most harbors are full of them. Either chum them with bread and fish a bread fly, or try a tiny shrimp like thing. You need fine tippet and you’ll lose most of them.

Nobody fly fishes, you’ll get some funny looks.

Take all this with a pinch of salt, it’s been 20+ years since I was last in Greece.
tinpusher

Re: Icaria Greece?

Post by tinpusher »

Thanks Nick and you're right I did get funny looks. The marina where I stayed was full of little fish that looked like perch. Nothing very big but we had a great time on Icaria.

Return to “Flyfishing”