PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

shore quick cast

Moderator: Paul Arden

Carlos
Answers: 0

shore quick cast

Post by Carlos »

Hi there,

today I devised a technique which I have never seen described anywhere. Actually, it is a combination of two well established techniques. I devised it while sighting carp along the shore of flat water, but the application scenario is any situation when you are moving and sighting fish from a shore with plenty of grass and small bushes. I think it will rock for rising trout in small creeks.

To prepare, you pull out the maximum length of line that you will eventually cast. Then you figure-8 the line until you have left the length you need to arm the saltwater quick cast, say 6 m of fly line plus leader. Arm the quick cast, keeping the figure-8 in the hand, it is not difficult. Now you can walk along, while being ready to quickly put the fly a fair distance away, without hanging around. When you decide to cast to a fish, you execute the saltwater quick cast, and shoot the line in the figure-8.

That is it.

Tight lines.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: shore quick cast

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Carlos,

There are some lakes in NZ where I used to do this. It worked there because I was figure-of-8 retrieving, and I wasn't taking long shots. I actually prefer it to gathering loops, but of course it depends on how you are retrieving and how much line you are fishing. It's weird, despite having stripped line into coils for about fifteen years, I still have to think about what I'm doing - and I don't want to be thinking about stripping line into coils when I'm fishing! With your method I never had to think about it.

Cheers,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Hi Paul,

exactly, the idea came up after slowly figure-8 retrieving some nymphs. First, for many days, I tried to coil the line. But, if the coils are too small, I cannot cleanly manage longer lengths, and if they are too big, they hang on the ground and everywhere if it is winding. Coiling works fine for me on running water.

With figure-8, I can manage up to more or less 20 meters of line, so I think this is pretty good for sight fishing.

For asp (there were some messing around in the flat), I stripped hand-over-hand and then figured-8 from the line lying on the ground, for the next cast.

All in all, I find the technique combination very useful, and for sight fishing, superior to a basket. I would prefer a basket if I had (i) to wade and cast with a sinking line, (ii) to cast a lot to cover water, or (iii) to play with statistics (like having to make 1000 casts for a catch).

regards,
Carlos
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Paul,

if you think this thread is not in the right sub-forum, feel free to move it. Maybe a better place for it would be in the Flyfishing sub-forum.

TL
Carlos
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Maybe a better place for it would be in the Flyfishing sub-forum.
Good idea! I've moved it :)

I've never tried figure-of-eighting 20m of line, but if it fits on a reel it should fit in my hand! I don't like baskets either, mainly because I can't see my feet. William Joseph had one that converted from a belt into a stripping basket. That was useful until I lost it!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flyfishing”