PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Strip strike or trout set

Moderator: Paul Arden

James9118
Answers: 0

Re: Strip strike or trout set

Post by James9118 »

Loop-to-looped perfection knots are not the strongest option.
Tying a Bimini into a Slim beauty is great but it's going to eat up a lot of your 9ft tapered leader - especially if you change the tippet at some point.
I'd go for a J-knot - after my knot testing series of FPs I changed to this and have been really happy with it.

Cheers, James.
Nick
Answers: 0

Post by Nick »

johnnybg wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:42 pm Lasse, you're right. What I meant to say was that the fish gets off the hook. It's not often that the line breaks because of a strike or a fisk. However, it has happened.

When the line breaks it's nearly always in the perfection loop. I use a 9' tapered nylon leader with a perfection loop in the end where I attach a 2 -3' tippet with a loop to loop connection. Would it make sense to use a bimini here instead of a perfection loop?
Perfection loop is not a very strong knot! A Bimini would probably be overkill though. You could use a grinner knot between the leader and tippet and see a big improvement in strength. I am not a big fan of loop to loop connections.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Another option is a sheepgirl ring with two ten turn half bloods. This would be very strong. So strong in fact that I would consider putting a Eugene Bend at the fly to intentionally make that the weak point. Even in this case it’s possible that the line breaks in the middle and not at the knot.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flyfishing”