PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Best flurocarbon to mono knot?

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Best flurocarbon to mono knot?

Post by Paul Arden »

Nope virtually none. I fished the Don once and had a week in Nova Scotia. It’s never had any appeal to me and I think I’d find the tweed underwear a bit scratchy :p (only kidding that was just the perception I had while growing up). But no; I like fish that eat and preferably that I can see!

In the Kola Peninsular I was given the option to fish for salmon or trout and so I fished for trout :D

But never say never. Maybe I’ll spend a decade fishing for them at some point.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Hornbeam
Answers: 0

Post by Hornbeam »

I use the name 'Water Knot' for the simple reason that that is what it has been known as for centuries! The name 'Surgeon's Knot' is very much more recent (damned Americans). If you ask a surgeon (who is not a fly fisher) about the Surgeon's Knot, they will either stare blankly at you, or refer to another, completely different knot used for tying off sutures (it's actually a modified Reef or Square Knot). I seem to recall that my father (who was an anaesthetist, not a surgeon) had a pair of cufflinks depicting this other surgeon's knot.

Cheers, Tony
marlsounds
Answers: 0

Post by marlsounds »

It would be sweet for someone independent to do some testing on the 'flyfisher' packs of nylon & fluorocarbon versus the larger spools. I think you're right, Paul. It's a marketing con job. I'm currently testing f/c and nylon (of same stated weights) on alternate days at present before I make the call to give away the f/c for good.

The other marketers dream is promoting shiteloads of spools hanging off your vest. I keep the two tippets I'm using close by and the rest packed away. If I needed them, I'd be sitting down for the major rebuild ...

Return to “Flyfishing”