PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Giant Snakehead and studies

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Giant Snakehead and studies

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi guys,

The more time I spend with these fish the more fascinating I find them. If there is a more interesting fish then I really don’t know what it is!!

But I also have a lot of questions. I’ve obviously spent time searching online for information but most of what I can find is studies of the Northern Snakehead species that is invasive to the US. Some of that information does cross over, but from what I read they are not only different sub-species but they have different behaviour.

I don’t even know for example, their growth rate - I think it’s about 1KG per year. How long do the adults look after their babies? I think about two months. How long for the eggs to hatch? I’ve read two days. What triggers the colour changes? I’ve seen adults waiting for eggs to hatch that are black. I’ve never caught one that is black as a parent. How large a territory do they cover with babies? What about when they are adults living in communities? How do they communicate? I have millions of questions!

Does anyone know of any studies or someone I can talk to who has studied these fish?

Thanks,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

Re: Giant Snakehead and studies

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi Paul,

Are there any good Universities over there? That would be my first point of contact, you never know, someone could have done a PHD on snakeheads 😄

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Paul,

I know nothing about your species, but there is a lot of Florida info on the Bullseye Snakehead (Channa marulius) that has invaded South Florida. You might be able to find somethings cross over?

BTW... have you ever ate one? The SoFlo ones are reported to be exceptional on the table... which is one theory as to why they were illegally imported and released.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I ate one off the lake, Gary, it was actually pretty good. However I tell everyone that they taste like shit for the obvious reason :laugh: I also ate another in a Chinese Restaurant - I didn’t know it was Snakehead - that was excellent for sure.

Not the nicest death. Most fish you can knock unconscious and they die or asphyxiation. This one I knocked out and then decapitated. I don’t enjoy killing or ever feel good about it.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flyfishing”