PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Thoughts on catch and release - best practice

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Thoughts on catch and release - best practice

Post by Paul Arden »

I remember skimming a fish across the water that ate a cicada that immediately had a heart attack - or at least died - on me. However I do think that playing them fast (not always the same thing as hard by the way, since often there are opportunities to net them before fully played out) is certainly preferable than playing them too long.

I would actually rather get broken off than play a fish for longer than necessary. Foul hooked fish spring to mind here; best of course is to lose them and still keep your flies).

It’s very important to hold the fish correctly. I’ve seen photos of fingers in gills of live fish FFS. Or being squeezed at the belly. Or suspended by a boga grip. I really don’t like seeing photos of fish on the bank either.

In Germany they actually have an examination before you can get your fishing license. I have the German license as a foreigner and so never actually took the test. But something like that with a real preference for C&R and good handling skills (technically C&R is illegal in Germany so this may not have been the best example :p ) I think could actually be an excellent thing.

The only problem - and it’s a big one - is that it might cause problems for us because ultimately there are people who think fishing is cruel and should be banned and you certainly don’t want anyone like that involved in the licensing scheme!

Handling fish properly, gently and confidently is quite a skill. I’m such a strong believer in large knotless soft mesh nets, particularly if you are fishing for big fish.

You can tell a lot about the experience of an angler by the way he handles fish!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
marlsounds
Answers: 0

Post by marlsounds »

Just scanned this thread. Some good points. Definitely only out of the water for a few seconds for the camera or a quick proud glance and then away. I'm all for keeping tippet strength up as much as you can and going hard at the first netting opportunity. I likes the above idea of guides giving hook release tools to clients who don't have them. Nice. And gives something back to the sport.

I hope everyone is enjoying the new kiwi season. It's definitely quieter on the rivers without the offshore contingents. Plenty of solid fish and good water levels (so far).
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Thankfully they’ve stopped calling it “keep ‘em wet” which really got up my nose. In fact I can’t tell you how much that winds me up. If anyone said “keep ‘em wet” to me I’d hit them over the head and drown them. Silly I know, and I don’t know why, but it really makes my blood boil. Anyway...

They now called themselves “keep fish wet” which is altogether much better. :p

Some good advice here. https://www.keepfishwet.org/principles I’m going to see if we get get some Malay translations going. Because that’s really necessary.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flyfishing”