PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Leeches

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Leeches

Post by Paul Arden »

I was wondering if anyone has experienced fishing in areas of high numbers of leeches? This is a problem I have to solve for fishing the jungle rivers in this country. Waders are going to be a last resort because it’s 33/34C every day and the streams are not exactly cold. I’ve bought tights and socks. Just wondering if anyone knows of something better than this?

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118
Answers: 0

Re: Leeches

Post by James9118 »

Lycra leggings seem to be the latest style for flats fishing - would that work?
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I don't know yet because I haven't been back, but certainly that has been the first thing I have bought. Legs were obviously the hardest hit, but a few managed to find their way inside my shirt. I'll also carry some sort of spray next time so I can blast them off instead of picking them off. That will be more fun. I suspect this is more of a Wet Season problem.. hope so.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Limpe Iven

Post by Limpe Iven »

James9118 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:25 am Lycra leggings seem to be the latest style for flats fishing - would that work?
Been using them on the flats, mostly for UV protection, prevents mosquito bites-as the zika virus had been around on my latest destination- most comfortable, i must say, and with my skintype "chernobyl" it reduces the amount of sunscreen needed. Keeps all sort of bugs out. Combined with a tight fit long sleeve shirt covers most of the body. I'm very pleased with it.
Jason King

Post by Jason King »

Salt on leeches to remove them? Or is that an old wives tail? Lol pretty sure I saw it in a black and white movie as a kid..so must be true.
I may have also seen covering yourself in lard helps as well.😂

Jason.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Nice bump! Yes salt works as does shampoo, DEET, or just picking them off and then chopping them up with a machete!

Now I fish in boots with socks, trousers, gaiters, shirt tucked in belt, and they get me at my neck mostly. No way in apart from the long way, but they still get me. To be honest it hasn’t taken very long but they are just a nuisance now :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Jason King

Post by Jason King »

Yeh hope I don’t annoy anyone bumping old threads😁
I am enjoying cruising around the forum.
I think leeches may be my biggest phobia.....closely followed by March/horse flys.
I bought a “Bugstopper” shirt to wear last summer and it actually worked keeping the flys away.

Jason.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

No it’s fantastic to pick up on old topics. Once you have had a few hundred leech bites the phobia wears off. I don’t like horse flies either :D At least here in the jungle there are no mosquitoes. If there were then I probably wouldn’t still be here! The only time I encounter those is when there are people and standing water.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flyfishing”