PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

What is a good angler, what is a good fly caster?

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: What is a good angler, what is a good fly caster?

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t know if it’s a progression or a fad or maybe just a personal preference for me, but my favourite form of fishing, without a doubt nowadays, is taking shots at sighted fish. If they are big and spooky and fight hard then all the more fun! Whatever the attraction of it, taking shots at moving targets is in part a casting challenge and it’s simply not possible to be good at this sort of fly fishing without having a highly developed set of casting skills. Placing a fly in front of a moving fish with none or limited false casts, in all winds, and at all angles, is top level casting.

But we’re lucky we have all this different variety in fly fishing. I used to love short-lining the windlanes for rising trout. Totally different basket of tricks :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker
Answers: 0

Post by Boisker »

I think it’s also about the challenge you set yourself.
I love it when fish are rising or nymphing to individual fish in the clear water of a chalkstream....
but even when blind casting and covering a river you can make it what you want... are you plodding up the river just covering the easy water or are you threading your fly into all the nooks and crannies... one catches a few fish, the other far more.... if you are focussed and doing the latter it’s surprisingly similar as casting to a sighted fish, you expect a fish to rise, or the nymph to be taken... you have cast to a particular spot, say a metre back under low overhanging branches where 2 feed lanes converge.... and a fish ‘will’ be there...
carlz
Answers: 0

Post by carlz »

I love this topic, because the first page of replies really hit the nail on the head.

What consumes you, and does your mind flow back to? What is your love and passion? Where are you putting your effort to improve?

It the general area of fly rod associated activities, it could be distance casting, accuracy casting, dry fly fishing small creeks, steelhead fishing, fly tying, ...

If you put your efforts into improving something you love doing, you will get better.

On the other hand, if you just go out onto the water because you enjoy it and don't have any desire for the activity to consume you. That's OK too.
However if you are on this board, it's too late.

Return to “Flyfishing”