PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fly fishing guiding/teaching

Moderator: Paul Arden

Boisker
Answers: 0

Re: Fly fishing guiding/teaching

Post by Boisker »

I’ve discussed guiding with a friend who is (technically just retired) a guide, and one of his fall back comments always hit home... if when you are stood with someone and constantly having the itch to make the cast, find it slightly frustrating that they missed the biggest fish you’d seen that season then guiding isn’t for you. Through the trout season he would guide pretty much every day, so would have very few days fishing through the spring-summer-early autumn fishing himself... really only getting out in the game fishing closed season for Grayling.... I couldn’t do that it would drive me nuts.
My only experience in guiding, was off the back of a local church fundraiser, where people offered lots to bid on at an auction. I offered a days guided fishing... amazingly someone paid £180 which sort of put some pressure on, they could have got a proper guide for another £20 :D
They said they had fished quite a bit before, although not for a few years... good, I thought they will know what they were doing... mmm, not so. I picked them up and they had a fairly old 7w rod that was way to over gunned for the local river, so we set up my 8’4w. First few casts and we had a problem, they couldn’t cast 20’... so we spent an hour using the triangle method to improve their cast... after an hour they could comfortable cast 30’ (which is all the river generally needs)... and then proceeded the most frustrating and funny day.... I fish that river a lot, and had never seen so many fish rising, pretty much all day... time after time he lifted to early and then occasionally too late... we stuck at it, and he was very funny.
3 years later and I still haven’t seen another day of fish rising like that...he ended up with 7 fish and was really happy.
Anyone who fished regularly would have filled their boots....
It really emphasised 2 things to me
1. Just how much pressure you feel when someone has paid for you to guide them, i was beginning to get cold sweats at the thought he wasn’t going to catch when all around were rising fish
2. I couldn’t do that for my living... I really enjoyed the day, and would enjoy doing it 5 or 6 times a season... but I have to say a small part of me died that afternoon, perfect conditions warm, no wind, slightly overcast and fish rising absolutely everywhere... I should have had a rod in my hand.... so that in a nutshell answered my mates question above... nope I’m not cut out to be a full time guide :D
Full respect to those that do, there must be days where the client can fish well, the conditions are perfect and everything is easy... but that wasn’t the experience I had it was bloody hard work and quite stressful :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Sometimes I have a great day making 8 or 10 shots happen. Even if we don’t get the fish :D

I tell you what thought, you’ve not just got to like it; you have to love it!! I’m sure that really comes through when you are working and no one wants to be guided by someone who is bored or frustrated.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Well, Well
Got myself a bit of publicity and the top of an article in a local newspaper about my Fly Fishing Adventures for Carp in SEQ 😁😁😁
   Nice👌

https://spark.adobe.com/page/wgK7WwKIXv2vf/

p.s
  "Today, Mr Duzynski has one of the best fly fishing casts in the world."
  Just to clarify. It refers to recent and ongoing Distance Fly Casting challenge on facebook- called PUALD CHALLENGE, where I am doing pretty good 😁
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yay! Awesome :D :D

Yeah it’s a bit of a bummer about their status. Mind you here if I catch a tilapia I will eat it!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Yeah, I know.
After I post it on a facebook group called KANGAROO CARP( carp in Aus- fly only), there is a lot of discussion now.
Just to be on the safe side I say RULES ARE RULES and whatever I think personaly I leave it in my slingpack.
I take a deep breath before dispatching a fish, but again I dont want to fined and ruin my finacal life because of one fish- it is what it is.
On a Tilapia side, last Sunday plenty of nests and thousands fish guaeding them.
Normaly they dont take a fly, but if you use " the angry nesting fish" technique you can have a lot of fun.
Drop the fly in the nest,spook the fish, but let the fly seat there, minute after they come back and they remove what not suppouse to be there- then uou strike😂😂😂

cheers
mike

Return to “Flyfishing”