PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Furled VS Mono leaders

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Furled VS Mono leaders

Post by Paul Arden »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:14 pm
Paul Arden wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:03 am Moving away from nylon will add another variable! But I see a similar difference with nylon. Yeah it’s a physics question :D
Not a physicist, but taper, mass and stiffness springs to mind..

Cheers
Lasse
What I’m thinking about is the difference between 3 stands 6lb compared to 18lb mono for example.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker
Answers: 0

Post by Boisker »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:54 pm If you take a custom tied furled leader out of its package and hand cast it for an unsuspecting customer inside the shop you will get an immediate "Wow" response from said customer... and make a hefty profit if you happen to be the manufacturer.

I have seen it done.

Otherwise, in these parts, they were tried then binned. The consensus (around here) is that they are a solution looking for a problem.
A very, very old solution, at the foundations of fly fishing.... not sure anyone was looking for a problem for them to solve.... :whistle:
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:44 am
Lasse Karlsson wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:14 pm
Paul Arden wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:03 am Moving away from nylon will add another variable! But I see a similar difference with nylon. Yeah it’s a physics question :D
Not a physicist, but taper, mass and stiffness springs to mind..

Cheers
Lasse
What I’m thinking about is the difference between 3 stands 6lb compared to 18lb mono for example.
Stiffness, three strands furled is softer than a single strand. And has more mass for the same length.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I imagine that it’s also stronger.

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

... and stretches a lot more. A good thing if you are trying to protect a light tippet, but not if your main challenge is trying to set the hook into a tough mouth.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep it would be interesting to do some tests. What I like about them for Snakehead is that I can fight with the leader in the rod without dramas when it comes out again. That to me is very important when landing fish rod tip down!

Flycasting Definitions
flickingfeathers

Post by flickingfeathers »

I tried twisted leaders for carp fishing but found that my catch rate dropped quite dramatically. I do like that the but loop goes easily in and out the top guide though so I do twist my butt section before going to single strand step tapered leader. I tend to fish pretty long leaders for carp so I'm happy with this as a compromise. I'll probably move towards this in my flats leaders too.

I often use a 9ft fully twisted leader for fishing for blackbass from the float tube when I'm trying to turn over a large popper on a short cast.
Flyflinger2421

Post by Flyflinger2421 »

I learned to make furled leaders last year and love them. I am making them out of 6lb Spectra (Dyneema) which is 0.08mm in diameter so the tip tests at 18#. I put very small Shorb loops at both ends to enable loop to loop connections to both the fly line and tippet. Here are the advantages over hand tied mono or fluorocarbon leaders:
1. Spectra has a lower density than water so it floats. Both nylon and Fluorocarbon are denser than water so they sink.
2. No memory at all.
3. resistant to "wind knots" and when they do occur, they can be carefully picked out using a needle.
4. Since they are nicely tapered, they cast and lay out just like your fly line.
5. They will last for more than a year of fishing I am told.
6. If you make them out of yellow or orange material they act as an indicator when using very tiny dries or if you eyesight is not so good.
Hope this helps!
Flyflinger2421

Post by Flyflinger2421 »

I noticed there was a comment about furled leaders stretching. That is another reason I chose Dyneema as a material for my furled leaders. Dyneema (Spectra) is used for bowstrings and stretching is not a desirable characteristic for a bowstring. I have not actually compared the stretch in a nylon or fluorocarbon leader compared to that of one made from Dyneema. If someone has done this I would be interested in the numbers.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

G'day mate,

Which brand of spectra are you using and where can it be purchased?

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI

Return to “Flyfishing”