PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Furled VS Mono leaders

Moderator: Paul Arden

nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

Furled VS Mono leaders

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi All,

Could someone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of using furled leaders? Thanks!

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Furled VS Mono leaders

Post by Paul Arden »

I use hand twisted for Snakehead which is similar to furled. That’s a actually a great question, Nick.

Pros - loop to loop goes through the rings easier than the alternative loop to loop knots.
Less memory, particularly if you anchor around the tip ring for long periods of time.
Weight for weight it’s more limp.
Seriously strong without using the bulk of a Bimini, basically I’m using one piece of mono – there is a J-knot, but it’s doubled.

Cons - you are forced to loop to loop, so I don’t use for trout fishing.
Picks up water, or air for that matter.

For me personally, fantastic for throwing Poppers at Snakehead. Trout fishing I use a two turn needle knot and a furled leader connection doesn’t come close.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

I’ve tried them for trout fishing... I liked them on small streams, the furled leader is great for turnover in tight confines with no / hardly any line out the rod tip....
on usual sized rivers I struggled to find any ‘benefit’
I don’t use them at all any more,
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I agree Matt. I wonder why that is.

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Thank you, both! That's very interesting :cool:

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

No idea Paul :D
One of the resident physicists would perhaps be better placed to offer an opinion... :whistle:
strange to describe, with a 6’ glass rod with no or only a couple of feet of line out the tip you just feel connected to the fly; turnover is smooth, ‘soft’ and just feels like a great set up...
I got an immovable knot in my last furled leader (made from tying thread, I haven’t tried nylon furled leaders) from not paying attention when taking it out of a leader wallet... I fish so infrequently with the 6’ rod I haven’t bothered replacing it yet.

It could also relate to where I use them, tiny streams which you can either bow and arrow cast your way up with a ‘normal’ rod, or use a tiny rod and actually cast... but with so little room you need a really short leader; furled leader of 3’ with 3’ or 4’ of 6x attached.... I don’t think you could make a 6’ leader made from just straight lengths of nylon that turns over and casts so nicely...
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Moving away from nylon will add another variable! But I see a similar difference with nylon. Yeah it’s a physics question :D

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

If you take a custom tied furled leader out of its package and hand cast it for an unsuspecting customer inside the shop you will get an immediate "Wow" response from said customer... and make a hefty profit if you happen to be the manufacturer.

I have seen it done.

Otherwise, in these parts, they were tried then binned. The consensus (around here) is that they are a solution looking for a problem.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
ACW

Post by ACW »

I like the silk ones for wee streams , from a tackle dealer point of veiw not a great product as they seem to last a long time ,hence no repeat sales !
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:03 am Moving away from nylon will add another variable! But I see a similar difference with nylon. Yeah it’s a physics question :D
Not a physicist, but taper, mass and stiffness springs to mind..

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Flyfishing”