PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Prescription sunglasses

Moderator: Paul Arden

johnnybg
Answers: 0

Prescription sunglasses

Post by johnnybg »

My 5 year old Oakley shades finally dies last week. The frame broke and the lenses looks like something that have been industrial sandblasted on purpose..

I use prescription glasses on both eyes.

Can anyone recommend a good pair of shades that:

- Come with a grey polarized lens
- Come with glass lenses instead of synthetics (i really struggled with scratches on the Oakleys lenses after only 12 months)
- Block out the sun also from the sides
- Are available with prescription lenses (myopia: -1.5, pupil distance 66.5mm)
- Are available in Denmark or can be sent to Denmark

- Also photocromic lenses would be awesome, but I don't think it's a must have.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions and recommendations 🙏

BR
Johnny
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Prescription sunglasses

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Johnny,

I’d recommend Tonic. Made in Australia can be posted to Denmark. I sell non prescription and don’t have anything to do with the prescription side but if you decide to go for them I’ll give you their contact and you can talk to them directly. Really great product and service. I’ve been using the same pairs for years now. I’ve managed to crack some of course but everything about them is first class.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

They have grey but I use blue mirror, photochromic copper and neon. I wouldn’t be without the neons but if I had to choose one pair it would be photochromic copper.

Flycasting Definitions
johnnybg

Post by johnnybg »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:11 pm I’d recommend Tonic. Made in Australia can be posted to Denmark. I sell non prescription and don’t have anything to do with the prescription side but if you decide to go for them I’ll give you their contact and you can talk to them directly. Really great product and service. I’ve been using the same pairs for years now. I’ve managed to crack some of course but everything about them is first class.
Hi Paul, and thank you. Tonic's contact details would be much appreciated. The glasses don't need to be unbreakable, but if possible, i will opt for some lenses that are very resistant to scratches :cool:

I was surprised to see you mention neon, what's special about that shade?
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Neon let in the most light (so it’s no good when it’s bright sunshine) but overcast, evenings, shady rivers (or even just most rivers actually!) they are my goto lens. They have been a bit of a game changer I think.

Is your email still the same?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I could be wrong, but I think the prescription ones from Tonic only come in polycarbonate. Best to check with them on how scratch-resistant they are.

(I'm also a BIG fan of Tonic glasses. I won't buy any other brand.)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

They’re not polycarbonate (which scratch just by looking at them!) but they’re not glass either. I sat through a Zoom call last year where Doug described the range and the toughness of the material used for the prescription lenses but I can’t remember what it is. Tim uses them. I can ask - I see they’ve updated their website but I can’t find that info. I did find this though https://toniceyewear.com/prescription-form

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
johnnybg

Post by johnnybg »

Thank you Graeme and Paul. I'll contact Tonic through the website =)
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

I have had, for a long time now, a pair of Action Optics sunglasses that I use when fishing or driving. One of the best investments I have ever made.

The lenses are
  • prescription
  • photochromic
  • polarized,
and when I ordered mine, not many sunglass makers offered all three. Maybe there are many now.

I believe Action Optics is now part of Smith Optics, so when I need a new pair I will be heading here or here.

Don't know if they make them with gray lenses, though.

Return to “Flyfishing”