PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

How do fish get away?

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: How do fish get away?

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Gary, that makes sense. I think most of the weight difference is actually the 6/0 Mustad hook instead of 1/0 a Gamakatsu, but actually it’s still not bad and certainly very acceptable to cast! It’s quite an interesting set up because it’s quick to tie and parts can be mixed and matched :) In one hour I could have the makings of 30 flies!

The wire question is interesting. I’ve tried a few different wires. One of the issues I have had is connecting the mono leader to wire. If I use a metal ring or connector it adds weight. If I use a knot the force I apply during the fight causes the wire to cut through the mono.

I grease the entire leader so that it sits on the surface while waiting for the shot. Any extra weight at the front of the wire (split rings etc) seems to make the leader want to sink and it takes too long to lift a sunk leader for the shot.

So that’s why basically. But I am happy to try other recommendations. I was trying a braid leader last year with other wire. It was more stealthy to look at but less delicate to land.

I did have crimps and so on. I think I lost that set when the boat flipped in a storm a few years back. But easy to replace in town and I’m in there on Monday.

Couldn’t find a fish tonight.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
flickingfeathers
Answers: 0

Re: How do fish get away?

Post by flickingfeathers »

Here's a video of a popper with a free swinging hook that I've been using for a about 18 months. It's weedless and hooks up well and I imagine if you used a standard J style hook rather than the EWG you'd get good results.

I originally tied it using the flymen shank but have since switched to making my own shanks from 0.8mm stainless. It might be an idea to go up to 1mm for the Toman.

Return to “Flyfishing”