PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The Boga Grip

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

The Boga Grip

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi folks,

I see a lot of images of fish being held by the boga grip, even weighed this way. So I know what I think, what do you think?

Thanks,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Re: The Boga Grip

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

That is kind of a dumb question, Paul!

In what situation, on what kind of fish, size of fish, etc?

They are slowly falling out of favor (around here), generally speaking, but there are a number of legitimate situations where they are practical (or even necessary) and actually more fish friendly than other options... like gaffs.

Not all fish can be netted, or even "thumbed", so assuming you want to revive the fish or get your fly back - what are your options?

Even small snook or tarpon, which theoretically can be somewhat easily handled, will damage your hand on a good day. One of my more frequent fishing partners unhooks every fish by first inserting a Boga grip (his hands are how he makes a living). And I believe his survival rate on released fish is probably close to 100% because he does everything right.

Personally, when necessary, I use a plastic lip-gripper that locks like a pair of vice grips since I have no interest in weighing fish, but my tool functions essentially the same. Besides, the plastic ones are about 10% of the cost of a Boga. On the other hand I have to admit the Boga is on another level when it comes to durability, and for weighing they are impressively accurate... which is why they seldom fail to verify when the IGFA checks them.

Having to weigh a fish, and hanging it from its lower jaw to do so is definitely bad... but that is on the "angler" not the Boga grip.

Isn't that what you meant to disparage?
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
George C

Post by George C »

The actual answer is unclear.

I'm pretty sure there is a study that suggests supporting snook by the jaw can cause isthmus damage (the fibrous 'throat" below the gill arches) and this in turn effects the fish's ability to eat thus increasing mortality.

I've also seen a study in muskellunge where doing the same while weighing large fish (some 40+ lbs) lead to no increase in mortality.

It is typical to support fresh water large mouth bass by the lip and I'd guess this has been studied and found to have no major adverse effect......but can't attest to for certain.

I use one sometimes to control small striped bass while I unhook them usually at night and when wading deep over bad footing so that return to shore is difficult. With large fish (20+ lbs), if I use one, I try not to lift (or weigh) the fish with it. I don't see much difference between doing so, using a lip gaff (which I also have used on large fish), or pinning them with my thumb in their mouth or hands under a gill plate which is my usual method.

It is known, I believe, that netting fish is not benign either although apparently certain rubber net materials can reduce trauma. I don't use nets at all (the fish I target ( 40-50") are too large for a size net I could reasonably carry and delayed release from lure entanglement is a bigger concern).

I have used plastic grippers but don't advise this for larger fish. I've had them slip and result in very angry 10-15lb fish attached to my hand or waders with painful and ugly results.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Sometimes the best questions are the dumb ones, Gary! It was intentionally left open-ended. :p

I have one - several in fact. It’s an absolute must here for retrieving flies out of the mouths of snakehead. Otherwise it’s almost a completely impossible game.

What I don’t like to see is these fish held up by the grip. An observation I would make with Snakehead, is that held by the grip they often struggle. A snakehead that is cradled like a trout doesn’t struggle. That suggests to me that snakehead are not comfortable being held aloft with a boga grip (there are many cheap Chinese rip-offs in Malaysia that cost about 12 bucks, so they are widely used here).

I know of a few situations where when releasing snakehead with the grip, it kicks at the last minute and swims off with the grip. That’s a disaster. Fortunately never happened to me or anyone in my boat, but I never use the grip at any time apart from when removing the hook.

Are there any studies on its use?

Nets – I agree George. Most are far too small! My nets are all sufficiently large that they act as cages.
738EBC5B-638B-4AD6-B581-9C0362AED8E3.jpeg
738EBC5B-638B-4AD6-B581-9C0362AED8E3.jpeg (139.54 KiB) Viewed 2323 times
Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Paul,
Biggest problem I saw clients having when using a Boga: It took them significant extra time to place it to the fish's jaw. Usually this was about several try and errors before succeeding.
Second biggest problem was, when the Boga head was static (no twist possible). Usually ends up with the Boga in the water (on or aside the fish).

If the Boga has soft (plastic) claws, a twistable head and a loop around the wrist, with experience it may help with some fish.

Personally I yet always found a prefered way without using a Boga.
Cheers
B
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

If you do a quick search for Toman virtually every fish is held this way…
541F0360-AFA8-40EA-AD4B-5D6F9A5760F4.jpeg
541F0360-AFA8-40EA-AD4B-5D6F9A5760F4.jpeg (22.08 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
Some are held for weighing suspended from jaw.

Flycasting Definitions
rusty

Post by rusty »

just add water,

The pacific rockfish has been a story worth sharing they break the line if you don’t fish too hard and even after a few bites they’re a challenge. Along with the expression “mess” of fish but, this is where the above question comes into play. As I actually have the plastic jaws for handing someone else the catch. If it’s bad enough that it looks like I need to butcher a fish then it could be in poor form, if you catch my drift, as these guys are there for mostly superstitious reasons which only fisherman understand.

groovy,
🙃😜👍
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

If they help with safely unhooking for both the fish and person then great.
But why anyone would feel the need to hang a fish by its jaw to weigh it is beyond my comprehension…. There are other options than weight that could be measured to allow the male posturing ‘bigus dickus’ awards to be given out….😟

Return to “Flyfishing”