PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Light rods for salmon?

Moderator: Paul Arden

bartdezwaan

Light rods for salmon?

Post by bartdezwaan » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:32 pm

Probably because I love casting, I have been using fast rods for my fishing.
A couple of years ago I was fishing, with a guide, in Slovenia. I was using thin tippets on my Sage TCX #5 and was doing fine, although I had to be careful.
The guide let me use his Sage ESN #2 rod and that was a bit of an eye opener for me. Drilling some of the larger fish felt a lot easier as the rod absorbed the shocks so well.
Only recently I caught a salmon on someone else his switch rod. Again a soft rod and the drill was easy.

I wonder how people feel about using light tackle for salmon fishing. I am thinking about the smaller rivers with salmon of max 10lb.
Anyone does this and how light do you go?

Cheers, Bart

Bendix

Re: Light rods for salmon?

Post by Bendix » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:19 pm

Hi Bart

For small, sort of “intimate” rivers, I think short rods in the 10 to 11 foot range, can be a definite advantage. And a rod rated for a 6 or 7 weight line, will give you a lot of benefits in regards of a stealthy approach. And with Salmon up to 10lbs as you mention, I don’t see any problems in regards of fighting them effectively with a 6 or 7 weight rod. So I say: Go ahead!

But in small rivers with big Salmon (20lbs+), I definitely think you need heavier tackle, in order to handle the fish!

/Bendix

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:04 pm

Physics, long rods are great for line manipulation shite as a tool for fighting a fish, we are at the wrong end of the stick, litterally! A stiff rod magnifies this.

Biig river, 12 lbs salmon, sage xp 5 weight rod and a waterworks ula purist 3.
Yes I was fishing for grayling :D fight took as long as it takes a 15 year old to run 200 meters (not me, one of the students that tailed the salmon for me)
98_0d1bas6uuwxmsg146uh5 (2).jpg
98_0d1bas6uuwxmsg146uh5 (2).jpg (39.75 KiB) Viewed 212 times
Of to Ireland in the weekend to fish salmon, will be bringing a couple of 6 weight singlehanders for the smaller rivers..

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

It makes no difference at all whether you are in a fishing environment or on a casting court. Technique transcends all casting environments, irrespective of what, and where, those environments exist.

John Waters

bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:16 am

Thanks guys.
The rivers of Ireland are the ones I have in mind Lasse. ;) After a terrific camper trip this year I am already planning a fishing trip for next year.

Do you guys think a rod with sufficient power in the lower section could handle bigger salmon, even if overall the rod is soft? For example a #5 switch rod or trout Spey rod. I don’t know the euro style rods well, but I believe they also have a powerful bottom section and very soft mid and top section. I like the way they handle a drill.

Cheers, Bart

Bendix

Post by Bendix » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:59 am

Hi Bart

For Salmon up to around 10-15lbs, in small rivers, I think you’ll be just fine with the rods that you mention. So I would bring those if it were me.

But for Salmon around 20lbs and up, I will stick to my statement, that you’ll need more powerful rods.

/Bendix

bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:36 am

Thanks Bendix.
I can imagine a 20lb salmon being quit a beast.
Was just wondering because big trout can be caught on #2 rods. But stopping a 20lb salmon in a heavy stream probably requires some backbone.

Cheers, Bart

bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:40 am

And now the question. Do you think drilling an 8lb salmon will be easier with a light rod? Maybe because of better damping and less chance the fly rips free. I understand the salmon have soft mouths when just from sea.

Cheers, Bart

Bendix

Post by Bendix » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:10 am

Hi Bart

Yes, I think it will be easier to land an 8lbs Salmon on light tackle (soft rod).

But that being said, my experience tells me, that it also depends on the individual Salmon, and what mood it’s in at the time. I have had small Salmon that have gone absolutely crazy after being hooked, and I have had big Salmon that have been quite calm. And I have had the exact opposite!
So as such, I think it’s a hard question to answer correctly… It all depends on the situation, and the individual fish!

/Bendix

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Paul Arden » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:27 am

Have a great trip, Lasse!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:59 am

Thanks Paul 😃

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

It makes no difference at all whether you are in a fishing environment or on a casting court. Technique transcends all casting environments, irrespective of what, and where, those environments exist.

John Waters

Return to “Flyfishing”