PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Techniques for setting the hook

Moderator: Paul Arden

Thomas
Answers: 0

Post by Thomas »

Hi,

The thread about retrieves gor me thinking about techniques for setting the hook when fishing dry flies at longer distances. I suck at setting the hook at longer distances in situations when I´m not in direct contact with the fly (as when retrieving a streamer or something similar). So what are your best techniques for setting the hook when fishing a dryfly at longer distances?

/Thomas
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Thomas,

Believe it or not I think that missing fish even at distance is more of a timing issue than a striking issue. However I strike with the whole arm in as much the opposite direction to the fish's travel as possible, ie left or right, or an even longer delay if the fish is coming towards me, at the same time as pulling down with the line hand, ensuring that I'm pulling through the stripping finger.

I'm equally comfortable with striking low and to the side as with striking high, in fact generally I prefer it. That may have come from my Stillwater origins.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

OK. Perhaps it is related to timing then. So, whats the most common faults with the timing when striking at distance? :)

Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Anybody?

Thomas
John Finn

Post by John Finn »

This is a big subject Thomas, My first rule of thumb for surface feeders would be fast take / fast strike and more importantly slow take /slow strike. eg slow head and tail rise, wait til the tail is gone. Hard to do, you need nerves of steel for this but it generally works.
Fishing at distance brings other problems. I'm never really confident of good hookup at distance especially when using light tippets. There is a conflict between the extra force needed to move a longer length of line and the possibility of breaking off. I prefer to get as near as possible without spooking the fish. Not always easy I know.
Having said all this I think timing is not the only factor to take into account. The fly has to be what they really want. I find this to be really important when trout are feeding strongly on a particular insect . eg on my river when they are locked on to bwo 's size 16 is just slightly too big. You may get a few rises but when you strike there is nothing there. I dont know how they do it, the fly disappears but no matter what timing you try ......nothing. These rises are usually not the same as to the naturals ie more splashy. I have found that the solution to this is to get the fly right , in this case use a size 18. Much better hookups. :yeahhh:
Thats not the only problem. IF I use 6x with the above fly ,more misses. 7X gives much better results.
I could go on and on. Trout can do your head in,
I would love to know what is happening when they apparently take your fly and no matter how you strike there is nothing there. I think they just take it without closing their mouths on the fly. But why take it at all if they think its not right ? Thats enough for now.
Regards............John
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Sorry I missed this Thomas. I really think it depends. In somewhere like New Zealand or any stillwater environment most missed strikes are a result of striking too soon. Whereas small fish in Montana, for example, it's mostly a result of striking too late! I don't think that the distances involved have much effect on the timing, unless of course the distance involves more slack line. For me I really try to watch the take; fast take, fast strike, slow take, delay then fast strike.

I agree with John, sometimes the fish misses the fly or turns away at the last moment. And unless you're up close you may not see this. I'm of the opinion that if I feel/prick the fish then I've struck too soon, and if I've missed the fish he didn't take. Problem solved :cool: But in Montana, completely the opposite!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Nile Special

Post by Nile Special »

John Finn wrote:This is a big subject Thomas, My first rule of thumb for surface feeders would be fast take / fast strike and more importantly slow take /slow strike. eg slow head and tail rise, wait til the tail is gone. Hard to do, you need nerves of steel for this but it generally works.
Fishing at distance brings other problems. I'm never really confident of good hookup at distance especially when using light tippets. There is a conflict between the extra force needed to move a longer length of line and the possibility of breaking off. I prefer to get as near as possible without spooking the fish. Not always easy I know.
Having said all this I think timing is not the only factor to take into account. The fly has to be what they really want. I find this to be really important when trout are feeding strongly on a particular insect . eg on my river when they are locked on to bwo 's size 16 is just slightly too big. You may get a few rises but when you strike there is nothing there. I dont know how they do it, the fly disappears but no matter what timing you try ......nothing. These rises are usually not the same as to the naturals ie more splashy. I have found that the solution to this is to get the fly right , in this case use a size 18. Much better hookups. :yeahhh:
Thats not the only problem. IF I use 6x with the above fly ,more misses. 7X gives much better results.
I could go on and on. Trout can do your head in,
I would love to know what is happening when they apparently take your fly and no matter how you strike there is nothing there. I think they just take it without closing their mouths on the fly. But why take it at all if they think its not right ? Thats enough for now.
Regards............John
I totally agree and get this a lot on the Usk. You get a splashy rise but never connect.. And then on others it doesn't matter how you time the strike you connect each time. Am going to try smaller flies, seems you came to that conclusion before me!

I've found I get the miss more with smaller fish. I guess the bigger guys reject the wrong fly/bad presentation before committing to the rise..
John Finn

Post by John Finn »

Paul Arden wrote:I've found I get the miss more with smaller fish. I guess the bigger guys reject the wrong fly/bad presentation before committing to the rise..
Good point, though better fish can behave like this too especially when there is a lot of one particular food. I remember fishing spent mayflys on a flat calm Lough Derg. 20 rises in a row without a touch. :evil: All these were tiny sips just like to the natural. Never really got to grips with this but what definitely helps is degreasing the tippet and go as light as possible . In this case I use 4lb maxima. I like the matt finish of ultragreen in preference to shiny flourocarbon on sunny days. Its amazing how they can take the fly down without moving the leader.
Has anybody seen good video footage of this. What the hell is going on ?
Is there a flourocarbon with a matt finish ?
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I didn't write the above sentence John, that was Nile Special! In this case I agree that degreasing is essential - I believe it is at all times anyway. In these circumstances I think it's important to tie flies that easily disappear through the surface film - i.e. that only just float. I've encountered this many times too of course. Sometimes I've even watched fish try to "nibble" a fly down through the surface with repeated attempts!

Cheers,Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

OK. Nice to have some food for thought. Thanks everybody.

Thomas

Return to “Flyfishing”