PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Good read... about tarpon fishing

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Good read... about tarpon fishing

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

If you have any interest in big tarpon on fly, and especially about the history of chasing the very largest ones, "Lords of the Fly" by Monte Burke is a great read - and painfully honest.

But understand, it is not a "how to" book. It is a recap of the tarpon fishery and what happened here in Florida over the last 40 years or so. I can pretty much attest to its accuracy because I lived through it, although slightly just on the outside.

So, you won't find my name in it anywhere although I know a number of folks who are mentioned. But if you have ever heard the name of any of the "celebrity" fly anglers who came out of this time and place, of which there are many, you will likely find that they are in the book... for better or worse.

On the other hand, the information on the tarpon fishery, not just the stories of the guides and anglers, is also very accurate.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
SevenWeight

Re: Good read... about tarpon fishing

Post by SevenWeight »

I live in Homosassa and had read or heard snippets of the history of the migratory tarpon fishery and the various characters chasing them. When the book first appeared I jumped on it. I agree ... the author did a great job of wrapping up the story with the environmental discussion. I'm on the water two or three times a week mainly fishing for redfish and snook, with jacks and ladyfish in the mix. Every now and then I bump into a resident or migratory tarpon (or cobia, which show up around the same time). I've been out a few times seriously looking for the big fish that come in the spring. It's an annual ritual for some. There's a good number of people who still come every year looking for the really large fish, some no doubt dreaming of a world record on fly.
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

It's one of my favourite books. Dean Butler is a very old friend and a real wild man. He tells some great stories. He was an early protege of Lefty's, in this country anyway, and on his wall at home, mounted and framed he has a pair of Lefty's underpants that got mixed into Dean's laundry somehow. Away from the tarpon and on Tom Evans' marlin chasing boat Blue Dog, Steve Tedesco was the captain, he's also a good friend, and a great fly fisherman who grew up on the south coast of NSW and now lives in Lumsden New Zealand and just goes trout fishing. A lot of fly fishing history caught up in those lives and some fantastic stories of crossing oceans on a 54ft high end marlin fishing boat - Australia to New Zealand 3 times, Australia to Vanuatu several times, and then they put it on a ship and took it to Panama. Dean recently had a heart attack. I spoke to him just the other day - he's out of hospital but I suspect his wild days are over, although I'm also pretty sure he'll still have a crack when the opportunity arises.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
askel

Post by askel »

It's amazing how fly fishing and fly casting have evolved over just few recent years and books about fly fishing never get outdated. May be we just have special place for them in our life.
ArchieS

Post by ArchieS »

It is a a great book. The golden age of Tarpon fishing was very interesting ,but it left me a bit sad. I have question. Watching a few videos lately on Tarpon fishing, I have noticed very few anglers bow when the Tarpon jumps. I have found keeping the line in the water helps keep tension on the fly as the fish jumps. If the line is fully out of the water then as the Tarpon shakes it’s head it is more likely to spit the fly. Is this just old school thinking? Any thoughts?
Mangrove Cuckoo

Not everyone on a video is an expert these days!

Bowing, or relieving some stress, is still done, but maybe not as dramatically as in the past.

Especially with newer low-stretch flylines, if you are using usual tippet strengths its best to give when they go up. Rods are not kept as high as before and drags are much better, so instead of the old bow most will just point and extend the rod and let the light drag absorb the shock.

I don't think I'm alone in fighting big tarpon with the flyline in my fingers, not on the drag.

You don't hear many yelling, "Bow to the King!" anymore, but you will hear, "Rod tip down, Rod tip down!" quite often if the guide is good and the angler a novice.

So, I think your suggestion is valid but not necessarily old school.

ArchieS

Post by ArchieS »

Thanks, when you say you fight big Tarpon with the fly line in your fingers are you intentionally not trying to get them on the reel so you keep engaged through line hand or am I missing something? I usually fight tarpon with the tip of the rod in or just above the water keeping as much line in the water to act as a drag and buffer as they jump.
Mangrove Cuckoo

Archie,

When they run, they run against the drag. I don't even try to slow them at those times. As you realize, the resistance of the entire flyline being dragged through the water at tarpon full speed is significant. The reel's set drag is added to that, and hopefully the two do not exceed the tippet.

However, when the fight gets serious and on the flyline, the much heavier max fighting drag (only a few pounds less than the tippet) is produced and controlled by the line laced through the fingers of the rod hand. The reel drag is still there as a backup, as needed when they take another run or jump. Max drag can be instantly released by letting the line slip out of the fingers.

During the end game, the line is mostly clamped dead stop by the fingers. Andy Mill has a great way to describe it, he says during that period, "You fight 'em with your elbows!"

Vinny

Post by Vinny »

Thank you for this thread it validates my beliefs and the fantasies I experience when thinking of keeping a fly in one that just jumped, looked at me, winked and sent my fly back towards my skiff😉

Return to “Saltwater”