PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Selecting THE right fly

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

Jonathan
Answers: 0

Selecting THE right fly

Post by Jonathan »

Actually you misunderstood Vince's English (as you also do mine and Ezvin's). :blush:
Vince does not take three flies he takes three BOXES of flies.
One box is unweighted brown clousers, one is medium weighted brown clousers and the last box is heavy brown clousers.
And he always catches trout (and whatever else he fishes for). :yeahhh:
There is a lesson here somewhere - if only I could find it??? :???:
Stu Jamieson

Selecting THE right fly

Post by Stu Jamieson »

I think the lesson is: always follow Vince's lead. ;)
queenfish

Selecting THE right fly

Post by queenfish »

[quote="Jonathan"]Actually you misunderstood Vince's English (as you also do mine and Ezvin's). :blush:
----------------------------------------
:yeahhh: You are a good friend Jono.
Brad Y

Selecting THE right fly

Post by Brad Y »

Paul Arden wrote:Interesting that they lock on to UV. Are you using UV blends? There are lots of trout patterns incorporating UV. I think it's something I need to get back into. There are even some all-UV flies that can do very well indeed. I'm thinking baby doll in lime green UV during low-light for example. Those things positively shine in the box. I used to catch well on them but haven't really experimented down that road since then. We also used Vivas, which has the same tail, and Christmas Trees which had the same plus a red UV throat. My Grenadiers have UV orange seal fur... but I have only a few small pieces of the puzzle in place in this regards.

Something else I really need to try is painting the hook shanks white before tying these and other flies.

Cheers, Paul
Paul

No just regular BMS Blend dubbing, but I sort through them with a UV torch. Chartreuse, hot pink and red all glow nicely so I made a mix up and also incorporated a whisker of brown as well just to get a bit more stand out factor involved. With the hammerhead and BMS patterns Ive also gone to using an attractor style tail of marabou. White seems to work very well with our bream as the bodies of the flies are either olive or a tan sort of base colour.
Glenda

Selecting THE right fly

Post by Glenda »

Woohoo....I have lots of BMS flies from trout fishing days. Will give them a go on saltwater species!! Thanks Brad.
"my biggest worry is that when I am dead and gone my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it". ......Koos Brandt
Lou Bruno

Selecting THE right fly

Post by Lou Bruno »

Paul Arden wrote:I only use three flies, Mike. A chartreuse and White Clouser in various sizes, a crab and a popper. There may of course be a call for other flies, I once fished to spanglies eating grasshoppers in Exmouth - and caught them on grasshoppers, but generally speaking I haben't had the need for anything else. Size can be important I think but that's about it. There are people who argue you need a Deceiver too.

It's not trout fishing where I need 100 patterns!

Cheers, Paul
Paul

What crab pattern...Merkin?

Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Selecting THE right fly

Post by Paul Arden »

Anything really. I think presentation is more important. I’ve caught Permit on Clousers fished like crabs. Ask me this question again in 10 years :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Saltwater”