PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fly line set up for tarpon

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

Post by Lou Bruno »

I'm reading an older book, "Fishing The Flats" by Mark Sosin and Lefty Kreh. In chapter 6, Fly Fishing, pages 64 and 65 they do not recommend saltwater tapers for Tarpon or large saltwater fish. They recommend a shooting head made from intermediate line or floating line attached to a monofilament shock absorber(high visibility).

Anyone try this set up?

Anyone try the quick cast using this set up?

Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I thought about it for Snakehead but I don't think I can get the accuracy required. With GT no problem. With Tarpon it would take a lot of practise - I certainly will try everything when I immerse myself fully in the Salt.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Paul
Reading your articles on fly line tapers today. Came across your discussion with Michael Evens. I found this statement, confirming what I read in the Fishing the Flats book.
"The front taper of my Arrowheads is not in fact designed to throw tight loops because extended front tapers tend to cause the heavier line belly to drop in the air opening the loop."

If throwing tight loops is important in our casting then the line taper...geometric shape should be considered.
Lou
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Paul

In the book, the authors claim
"When the loop on a SW taper opens, inertia causes the heavy, concentrated weight right behind the shot front taper to continue forward. It actually overruns the lighter part and folds back under it, ruining the presentation. The front taper, leader, and fly are dumped into the water together and the cast collapses."

Not sure about this, never experienced that. So, I spent time reading your article on fly line profiles...tapers.

Lou
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

That sounds like a very old book Lou. Today's SW fly lines are very good and you can choose any taper design you want from the large range of lines on the market.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Graeme
Yes it is, still has some useful fishing info. Regardless, would heavier line still have the same effect?

Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Those are two very interesting points, Lou. I've seen 1. I can imagine 2 very easily and would like to see some video.

Thanks,
Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Lou Bruno wrote:Regardless, would heavier line still have the same effect?
Not in my experience. A "heavier line" - without any further reference to taper - simply allows a heavier (or wind resistant) fly to be delivered.

The line's taper design allows the energy of the cast to be controlled. In addition, your choice of leader design also improves presentation for any given fly.

A longer taper and longer leader will allow good presentation of a light fly. Shorten one or both for heavier flies or improve the casting technique.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Graeme
Agree, with our line designers producing tapers for species and fishing conditions, I wouldn't consider the effect a heavier powerful energy delivering line opening my loops or worse collapsing the cast. That's a game changer, fishing here in southwest Florida.

The book is older, but the two authers are both experienced fishers, they got me thinking about the possibilitis of shooting heads for tarpon or in general SW fly fishing.

Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think a lot of the species flylines is marketing. I dislike strange compound tapers especially those that have very heavy sections at some point. For me those lines are less versatile and often there is only one way to cast them. Fish tend to appear at all distances and angles when I'm fishing so the simpler the line the better. It's hard to beat the old fashioned Double Taper line!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Saltwater”