PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Backing to Flyline

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Backing to Flyline

Post by Paul Arden »

Christ that’s expensive! I’ve used both SA and RIO bonefish lines in 8WT. They’ve been very good. You have to make sure about the line weights however. I think RÍO make theirs one AFTM heavier so you have to buy the 7 if you want an 8.

For bonefish/light SW I’d look personally for a longish belly WF line without the “front loading for anglers who can’t cast”.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118
Answers: 0

Backing to Flyline

Post by James9118 »

Paul Arden wrote:
Biminis take about 30 seconds by the way.
Cheers, Paul
We both know how strong your 30 second Bimini's are :D :D :D :D :D :p

This is worth a look - spot on the AFFTA weight: https://ballisticflylines.com/product/b ... s-tropics/
petevicar

Backing to Flyline

Post by petevicar »

John Finn wrote:
petevicar wrote:Single strand gel spun can sometimes cut through fly lin
I was thinking about this. Would stripping the flyline down to the core before making the loop be over the top. This is my first tropical saltwater trip so my imagination is running riot :yeahhh: Has anyone ever lost a flyline ?? .............John
I once lost a fly line on a GT in the Seychelles. The knot didn't break, it was the backing. The problem was a coral head. We followed the line in the skiff and got it back but the fish was gone. It was a nice GT of maybe 40lbs.
IANACI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Backing to Flyline

Post by Paul Arden »

Haha :p Next time we will have a Bimini-off :pirate:

Flycasting Definitions
Nick

Backing to Flyline

Post by Nick »

Graeme H wrote:My preference is for hollow braid spectra as backing. If I'm using 60lb braid, I'll splice in a length of 80 or 100 pound and make an end splice in that. Nice fat loop without any knots.

Cheers,
Graeme
That’s a nice idea.

I also like to use hollow braid backing, so that I can make a seamless spliced loop. Cat’s paw this to a loop on the end of the fly line and it goes through the guides very smoothly.

It’s been much too long since I actually had to test this :(
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Backing to Flyline

Post by Paul Arden »

Finally I’ve gotten around to ordering a bunch of hollow braid and needles so I can make the Hird Leader!! I shall be doing some over Xmas :D I’m sure there willl blood spilt!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Backing to Flyline

Post by Graeme H »

:)

Only if you're doing it right. :)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Morsie

Backing to Flyline

Post by Morsie »

6 turn surgeon pulled up evenly (test it against a bimini) then double it with a 2 turn. Its not going anywhere. If the backing embeds into the fly line its only the coating - strength of the coating is about 500grms - the real strength of course is in the core. If this does embed, especially if you have used a cat's paw, its easy enough to cut away and retie if you need to change fly lines.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
sms

Backing to Flyline

Post by sms »

I used to do something that was a coaxial gsp-barised mono loop. You ended up with thick loop that was locked by cyanoacrylate (super glue). Then I came across a spool of 50lb power pro. And it wroke at below 10kg when we started testing it after it broke with a fish (lost fly line here). Bimini or any other knot - same thing. The sufix 50lb braid I had on my other reels were at 21-22kg or so with the coaxial method and quite close with good knots. Was about to toss the power pro, but didn’t.

I was drooling over the hollow ones as I don’t like knots and the glue lock’s longetivity going up and down the guides under tension is a question mark.

Then I came across this:
https://www.perhokalastajat.net/keskust ... p?id=94668

And bam, the bad power pro is at 22kg. I also noticed that the bad chinese braid I had bought for salmon reels were now SW grade with this method.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
John Finn

Backing to Flyline

Post by John Finn »

Thanks Sakke, that looks the business. Very clear instructions. Any need for glue after stitching ?................John

Return to “Saltwater”