PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Recommendation for flats shoes?

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Post by Graeme H »

Geenomad wrote:Sick to death of clodhopper wading boots I went for NRS workboots. Great to walk long Tassie miles in but the cross country stuff and underwater terrain found them out. Will see how my repairs hold up but I am not overly optimistic.
Bugger. That was the boot I was going to try next.

Back to the drawing board. :(

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Willy Franzen

Post by Willy Franzen »

I mostly fish in my Patagonia Marlwalkers, though I also own a pair of Simms Flats Sneakers from when my Marlwalkers were in storage and stuck behind all of our furniture. The Marlwalkers (which they don't make anymore) are more comfortable for me and quite a bit lighter, but the Simms do the job too. I do a lot of fishing in Aruba where there's nasty coral and a ton of sea urchins, and both boots have held up really well when used down there--though the Marlwalkers probably have about 6-8 weeks worth of fishing while the Simms only have 2 weeks.
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Graeme H wrote:
Back to the drawing board. :(
Yeah sorry mate. The NRS have two major problems for me. First, they are a narrow last and I have wide feet thanks in part to a childhood in Queensland with barefoot being the norm. Second, they are fragile around the instep area where there is a silly and unnecessary mesh drain. After that is worn through (inevitable) the inner neoprene booty is exposed. After the mesh is shredded the vinyl outer starts to split. Not what I would put on to walk around nasty coral.

I'm sure there are other water proof work boots out there but for the flats I prefer not hump an extra couple of kilograms around for 6-8 hours. Goldilocks choice required between not too flimsy and not too heavy. Not an issue for firies. :D

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Geenomad wrote:I'm sure there are other water proof work boots out there but for the flats I prefer not hump an extra couple of kilograms around for 6-8 hours.
Tie some pool noodles into your laces. ;)
FFi CCI
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Although I have not tried them for wading (yet), I have found what I think are my favorite canoe/flyfishing shoes.

Check out a company called Soft Science.

I have a pair of the Fin H20 style for about a year now.

They are water shoes with a nice tight upper, no laces, all synthetic materials, and impressive soles. The only potential downside I see in wading, for this style, is possible sand entering through the water vents in the soles. Of course, wearing neoprene socks should negate that problem.

They also make a boot like model with higher uppers. I think they may even call them wading shoes?

They may be what you are looking for?

I have no relation to the company, blah, blah...

Oh yeah... forgot to say that they are incredibly light and comfortable!
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

The Terrafin boots look interesting https://www.softscience.com/mens.html but all the reviews are I’ve had these for 1 day and they are fantastic sort of thing. How many day’s fishing should a pair of boots last?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote:
Check out a company called Soft Science.

They also make a boot like model with higher uppers. I think they may even call them wading shoes?

They may be what you are looking for?
Yep the Terrafins would be my choice too.

https://www.softscience.com/mens/fishin ... rafin.html

You have my full attention Sir. :D My only problem is sizing and potential freight costs to and from Oz if I make a mistake. No local stores for try ons which I regard as mandatory usually. Still..... Definite potential. Many thanks for the steer.

Cheers
Mark
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

If you buy the wrong size just look for someone with smaller feet :laugh: I would like to see follow up reviews such as “After 7 days fishing, stitching came loose and I noticed a strange smell radiating from my shoes. Day 12 tongue fell out. Day 16 one of the soles started flapping around. Day 22 both shoes fell to pieces and I’m now tying foam back humpies.

I spent one season fishing NZ in diving booties by the way. This was on the back of some terrible advice from Hairy and Aaron who were slipping and sliding their way around NZ. It was such bad advice that I passed it on to Six Pound Sean who’s never quite forgiven me. :cool:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Wading boots are one of those "don't get me started" subjects. Definite rant territory. Diving booties are just about ok for getting from the beach to the car but otherwise..... Insert OMG smilie. Equally, hiking or wading with bricks or planks on your feet is an exercise in masochism.

Some of the name brands seem to have gotten the message and are offering lighter weight, more flexible boots but I am waiting for the jury to bring back a medium to long term verdict. Light weight and durable is the unicorn of angling footwear.

And briefly back to the question, my gratuitous advice is to buy Simms neoprene socks which fold down and clip onto the boot laces. I've never had a problem with coral grit.

Cheers
Mark
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t believe that a lightweight boot suitable for walking, wading and day-in day-out fishing has ever been made. I think the requirements we have are impossible to meet. Something that is strong, comfortable, lightweight, grippy, that can survive being wet 14 hrs/day? It’s a very rare (and expensive) boot that can last 6 months in such harsh conditions. Most last a few weeks only.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Saltwater”