PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

DHD for ISW Surf Casting

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

DHD for ISW Surf Casting

Post by Paul Arden »

Have a question for you and Lee have been researching surf fly fishing and in certain conditions a double handed rod is best-over here . G Loomis make a rod 12wt 11.3 ft cross current beach double handed fly rod . Do you or Lee have any advice on what’s out on the market or would Lee or your self have any recommendations distance / light wait important . I have12wt shooting heads for the job . Possibly even a great blank and have Lee build it?
Hey guys, what sort of rods and heads are people throwing in the Surf? I remember we had a few loopers throwing west coast US.

Is it still barstool importing Loomis?

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: DHD for ISW Surf Casting

Post by Graeme H »

There's a guy in the UK called Mike Oliver who has designed and built a rod for doing just this. He sells them to a lot of guys on the east coast of the US who he's fished with. (They cast his personal rod and want one for themselves.) He fishes for stripers when he's there, casting overhead in the surf (no spey casts are possible.)

I've already put you in contact with him before Paul (he should be in your contacts on gmail but if you need it again, just flick me a note and I'll put you in contact again.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
crunch
Answers: 0

Re: DHD for ISW Surf Casting

Post by crunch »

Paul you did talk with Mike in Cumbria WC. Mike was wearing a wax coat which was well worn out :)

I did use 15ft rod when I began salt water DHD but it was poor in strong wind and hard work to cast 650gr line. Lately I have cast 700gr...800gr shooting heads using 10ft.Spinning rod which is rated for 1/2 oz-2oz lure and 11ft Carp rod which rating is 2.75lbs. Casting is quite light and performance to head wind and with big fly is very good. That 11ft is NGT Travel Carp 11ft 2.75lbs 4pc and very cheap in ebay only £23.

I have made sinking shooting heads from clothes lines and floating and intermediate heads splicing front tapers to Skagit heads.

Esa

Return to “Saltwater”