PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tippet breaking-tropical hot saltwater.

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: Tippet breaking-tropical hot saltwater.

Post by Graeme H »

Nice detective work Limpe.

I don't use the UV Knot Sense stuff often, but when I do, I apply it to the knot before cinching it tight, wipe off the excess and then let the sun do its job. Doing it this way keeps the knot small and the UV goop lubricates the knot while I cinch it.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Iven, for mud I mix Fullers Earth and washing up liquid into a paste and add a dollop of glycerine. It’s not only cheaper than everything else but you can get the consistency you want (wetter and pastier than snake river mud for example).

Interesting experience with the tippet material. I had one get ruined after being wet. The whole spool has gone.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Willy Franzen
Answers: 0

Post by Willy Franzen »

I’ve run into some similar issues with blood knots and fluorocarbon. I’ve had three large bonefish blow up well tied blood knots on the take. Each time the fish has eaten the fly while going in the opposite direction (or at least at a 90 degree angle) in the middle of a strip. Instant breakage. The most recent instance was especially frustrating because the knot had just landed a very nice sized bone (6ish lbs).

My solution is tippet rings with improved clinch knots instead of a final blood knot. So far no problems, but I know that my improved clinches are stronger than my bloods. Will do more testing on and off the water, but I’ve landed a few fish on rings—so it’s not scaring them off.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

The full blood knot is relatively weak. When joining two significantly different diameters I’ll tie a Bimini Twist into a Slim Beauty. That knot will see the main line break on the skinnier diameter. It blows me away every time. The other knot that impresses me to the same “I can’t believe it” is the 10-turn half blood knot. Any knot that breaks the main line is seriously impressive (particularly because I thought this impossible :) )

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Saltwater”