PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Permit - me too

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Permit - me too

Post by Paul Arden »

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/permit-me-too

Wow!!! I had no idea, Gary. Those old bridges must have been truly extraordinary.

What an amazing FP on all counts. :cool:

Thanks,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118
Answers: 0

Re: Permit - me too

Post by James9118 »

I'm an advocate of 'bringing out the jack in them' also. Anyone who has fished the flats know that crabs essentially have two defences against big predators; bury themselves or flee. They certainly don't stand and fight! When they flee, the flee fast - often looking like a swimming fish. I've been told a number of times by guides to 'slow down, fish it more like a crab etc' and I wonder what they think goes on - the crab flinging up its claws saying 'shucks, you got me - eat me quick'. :)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’m looking forward to be becoming obsessed by this fish :laugh: I’ve only had a few on both sides of Australia. In Broome they catch them on surface crabs :D That asides, I’m of the opinion that it’s a 3-dimensional accuracy shot, stick it in front of the fish, hard on the bottom, and move the fly away when they come close. Lots of situations in trout and carp and even grayling where this applies. For me that’s about being able to make the shot. Spookiness asides, I think one of the reasons fish get a difficult reputation is people’s abilities or inabilities to make an accurate shot when it matters.

I remember Rick telling me he had caught 100 Permit - bear in mind he doesn’t live on a Permit fishery, but a Redfish one. Rick was also of the opinion that it’s about making the shot. And let’s face it, most people cannot do that. Putting a fly on a saucer, particularly given wind conditions, sinking the fly to the bottom and so on - this is tough. That’s a seriously high level of casting prowess that eludes most anglers.

Gary’s experience on the other hand puts a spoke in the wheel. If Permit are nuts then they are going to be more interesting :laugh:

Five more years...

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Taylor8

Post by Taylor8 »

I’m with you on that Paul - it’s all about making that precise shot. Little to no forgiveness in casting mistakes which is the draw in my opinion. Of course, I’ve seen a lot of Permit give the fly a long hard look and not commit, adding further to the intrigue. Like Gary said in his article, Permit are crazy! But for me that’s the draw.

I’d also offer that there’s nothing better than casting a crab fly to a tailing Permit in a foot of water. It might be the least productive way to go about it but if you like a challenge then that’s your game (although I’ve never fished for snakehead!).

Paul - I’m looking forward to following your saltwater exploits when the time comes, hurry up already!

-Taylor
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think that should have been “bare in mind” not “bear” :D

I’m really looking forward to spending time on these and other fish, that eat crabs. I’ve seen so many crab patterns with legs and claws. I’m less convinced that the fly pattern matters than how it is fished. The Permit I had on the Barrier Reef side of Oz ate Clousers that we’re hard on the bottom and then moved away when the fish approached. I don’t think that the Clouser is the best pattern of course, but if all the rest of my fishing experience is anything to go by then I don’t think the crab flies need to look particularly like crabs. Most important is the fly sinks fast and lands hook upwards. :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Nick

Post by Nick »

Permit are indeed crazy. Spooky as hell, and yet quite often perfectly happy to snap up a tiny crab fly that lands out of nowhere a foot in front of their face. I have been much more successful with that tactic than with standard permit ideas. Taught to me by an old Mexican bonefish guide. “Hit him in the head”!
Cris

Post by Cris »

If covid allows I’m hoping for a week in ascension in December for another dose of permit fever, it’s about time you got out of the jungle for a few days Paul and come chase some permit, see you in Punta Allen
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I will!! :) Hope that you get away in December!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Saltwater”