PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tarpon hooks

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Tarpon hooks

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Here is something that my AI footprint spurred Google to send to me...

https://www.tridentflyfishing.com/blog/ ... rpon-hook/

It is kind of interesting for a few reasons and it seems pretty legit to me. I personally like SL12S hooks for smaller tarpon. One thing I think they forgot to mention is that the SL12S has a longer shank than the others... which works better with some patterns.

One thing I think they omitted is that most are stainless steel hooks, and therefor I will not use them for larger tarpon since there is a chance I will have to break the fish off. For big fish I mostly use 2/0 Stinger hooks that are not stainless. For smaller fish that I will likely bring to hand I think stainless is OK, if not better.

Another thing to notice is the hook strength itself, of all the hooks. Make ya wonder why so many folks think they need extremely strong leaders... doesn't it?
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Tarpon hooks

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t think that’s a realistic way of testing hooks. I have tested smaller bonefish hooks similarly using an electronic spring balance but have also tested leaders with 1/0 hooks embedded, the leader (well in fact the fly line) broke at 23lbs and the hook was fine.

I actually have a real problem at the moment with Gourami hooks but that’s another story!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Saltwater”