PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Saltwater Fly Reels

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

Re: Saltwater Fly Reels

Post by Lou Bruno »

Graeme
They are heavy, I eliminate blind casting when using AR reels.
I have an early model Orvis AR, much much lighter. Back in the day that reel was my go to reel for steelheading...saved my fingers from injury. I still have it, but it's been retired. Unfortunately it won't survive the rigors of SW fishing.
The drag settings take some getting used too. The Tibor Billy Pate Tarpon model is a Tank...rugged, easily maintained. Not something to be casting all day for sure. But, protects my fingers to continue fishing.
Ross Momentum is my go to SW reel.
Lou
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

There is a small but ardent group of saltwater fly anglers around here that still rely on the Tibor Billy Pate reels.

Most of those that I have encountered are big tarpon addicts who have a greater interest in protecting their fingers... like medical surgeons and concert pianists for example.

Pate reels are heavy but smooth, reliable, and apparently indestructible. I personally find them difficult to fish with since I like to constantly modify the "drag" manually, but they are one of the most sought-after heirloom reels I know of... even a very old one still fetches top dollars.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
sms

Post by sms »

I don’t like AR reels as I am not able to excert more pull than the drag setting. Vision used to have AR version of their XLA reel. It was lighter than the normal one!

Draw bar reels, nothing really wrong with them.

Corrosion inhibitor is a wise choise to use.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Tom Benson

Post by Tom Benson »

Mako 9600 reel arrived this morning [ Thurs. 3 / 12 ]. ; absolutely gobsmacked , both by engineering quality & delivery service .
Also included a useful present .....
thanx for all info.
Tom
Tom Benson

Post by Tom Benson »

I have , absolutely now connection with the Mako Reel company !
But ....... having received the 9600 Reel ...... a wonder :
Have just ordered the 9500 Reel
Will not pass comment ............
GREAT. ............Tom
George C

Post by George C »

Beauty and durability aside, you have a 8wt and 10 wt rod. When loaded with line that 9600 will weigh @18oz and the 9500 @15oz. As SMS pointed out the 9600 is likely the best choice out there for tuna (and probably GT) but not on a 10wt. As for the 9500, I'm struggling to think of any fish you're likely to target with an 8wt that needs that strong a reel......but perhaps you plan to put it on the 10wt and downsize your backing.

Sounds like there is a 12wt in your future. Does SL have one in the works?
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Does SL have one in the works?
Yes actually, but I can’t give a release time yet. There are two prototypes out there, one in Queensland and the other Florida. I’m going to make it a bit softer and a bit lighter. Apparently it will pull sharks backwards and is too much of a brute. :laugh:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Tom Benson

Post by Tom Benson »

Hi Paul ........ looking forward to my Mako . But , did I choose to soon ?
Can't wait to try the deep reel on my HT 10....... Perhaps ; a 12 wt on the way?

regards to you all & a happy Next Year .............Tom. :sorcerer:
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I use my 9500 as a 10wt reel and I also use my 9550 as a 10wt reel. The latter gets double duty as a 12wt if required, but I rarely fish that heavy.

The good thing is that if you chose wrongly Tom, they hold their value and you won't lose much on selling to get another one.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Tom Benson

Post by Tom Benson »

:upside: Hi Graeme, thanks for that . No way I,ll sell my Reels ( I have traction on selling Fly fishing gear ) :glare:
I've gone for the 9500 .........already have the 9600 , effectively for pelagic fishing .
Anyway ...... opportunity for serious saltwater Fly fishing , here in Blightylesshumdrum Blighty are ......less than amenable .
Shitless and ......etc........
best regards ....... & if you should pass near my mate , Nigel Forster , Guitar Maker in North Aussie
tell him he's a lucky Fer for getting oooot
Tom

Return to “Saltwater”