PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Saltwater Fly Reels

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Saltwater Fly Reels

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep that’s great service! 👍👍
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Zhongxiang
Answers: 0

Post by Zhongxiang »

Hi Sakari,

I have never paid much attention to SW reels until just read your post. Thanks for the input man.
Me too using the CCF-X2 Silver King but don't like the drag adjustment and that's why I bought a Hardy fortuna xds 10000 with one turn to access maximum drag.
I'm very interested to know what upgrade have you made to CCFX2 and I would like to get it done as well.
Can you also list a few steps for general maintenance. I have never opened my reels but having seen your post I think it's time now

Cheers
TC
Tom Benson

Post by Tom Benson »

Hi Folks.......all very useful & informative.
Sakke ..... please will you give me more info . on your experience with the Mako reel ; ie the .. 65 & 66 series
To , TC .. I agree with you , that more info. on upgrades & repair ......
Just in passim...... I had two of my rods ( Harrison 9 x 5 wt / Dan 9 x 5wt .. reringed by Paul's rod maker .. excellent )
Tom
sms

Post by sms »

I love my Makos for big game. The drag adjustment is the best feature. Just under one revolution from min to max. The drag knob is easy the grab and the resistance if perfect - quite light, but not so light that you would accidentally adjust it. I wind LH but I often adjust the drag with my left - I just reach under the reel and pull from the knob slots. I cannot do that really with any other reel I have (I need to switch rod hand to adjust the drag on others). The way the reel is built is beyond any other reel I’ve had in my hands. The design is such that several interfaces have to perfect. And they are - otherwise it would not ”run straight”.
And the drag stays that way even if the drag wears. There is a wear compensation mechanism. I consider Mako to be better than the original Charlton (Signatures and briefly made Elites). Although, the rear side of Charlton Signatures in my eyes are the most beautiful reels ever made. But I think I that the drag adjustment on those was the ”wrong way” - CCW to increase the drag and it wasn’t as easy to adjust as on the Mako.

Regarding upgrade and maintenance of CCF-C2, I made a video today:
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Tom Benson

Post by Tom Benson »

Great video post Sakke.......
Tom
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I enjoyed that!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Tom Benson

Post by Tom Benson »

Hi Sakke.......
Having followed your Posts : have ordered a Mako 96.. Reel
Great advice
Just one piece of advice \\\ How do I adjust my
Lamson Reel ...in particular ,, the cluch / drag ..on my Lamson Remix
My goto freshwater fly reels''''''
sms

Post by sms »

I don't know what can be done to Lamsons. I've stayed far away from them as I became aware of the sealing problems very early.

So you threw a wad of cash at the "problem" then! I hope you get to really test the reel too as that reel is great for Tuna, GT, Marlin etc.
And I hope you did notice my comment regarding the downsides:
sms wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:46 pmDownsides in addition to weight are the cost and that they are not self-serviceable

-Sakke
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

As far as I know, the only problem with the earlier Lamson Orings occurred when they came in contact with "lubricants" like WD40. It hardened the Oring and either allowed them to leak or the spool became impossible to be removed.

Lamson said they were upgrading to a better material when that problem arose.

Personally, I have had zero problems but I use a silicone grease on the shaft on the rare times I go in to check the bearings. I'm not sure how things are now but when I spoke with Lamson they said not to service the reel beyond that point myself or at the shop.

They said to send the reel back to them and they would perform any maintenance at no cost..

Now... mind you l only fish for regular things like tarpon or sharks at the largest, so i don't need reels at the extreme end.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
sms

Post by sms »

What on earth were they using then as even NBR is comparible with WD-40 (which IS a lubricant even thou it is also a solvent)? I work in marine business and know a bit about shaft seals. O-rings are not too good, but in small sizes they can suffice to an extent. But keeping it lubricated with a bit of suitable grease is a good idea that improves the behavior.

Do your Lamsons get submerged while fishing?

-Sakke

Return to “Saltwater”