Fly tying preparations for Bahamas

Moderator: Viking Lars

Post Number:#11  Postby Fla » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:04 pm

Hi James

I tied some clousers in the meantime, on size 1/0 hooks. Will tie some smaller ones next.
clousers.jpg

I plan to tie some hollow-style bucktail streamers for sharks, like this one (my go to pike pattern) but on a stronger hook. What do you think about the size? I like the pike streamers rather sparse... No idea at all about shark fishing so far :???:
Bucktail.jpg

Or would you fish something more striking, like this flash fly for example?
Flash.jpg

Talking about sharks: What kind of steel wire do you fish? Mono or multi-strand and what size/strength? Where is the weakest point in your shark setup and whats the breaking strength? Can you recommend a specific fly line?

Cheers,
Flavio
Fla

Post Number:#12  Postby James9118 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:41 pm

Hi Flavio,

Classy looking Clousers there!

For sharks (and bigger cuda - I cast the same fly at both), I use multi-strand wire with crimps. The wire strength is listed as 50lb and I attach it to a straight (~8ft) leader of 50lb. As such, I'm not quite sure where the weak point is - it could well be the fly line :ghost:

Of the two patterns you posted, I'd probable favour the bottom one (but that's my preference only). These are some shark flies that I tied last year which worked for sharks and cudas. Pike flies in colours to match mullet, bones, bar jacks, snappers etc should work.

P3210073.JPG

shark3.jpg
James9118

Post Number:#13  Postby Willy Franzen » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:14 am

Since we're talking tarpon flies too...

IMG_3250.jpeg

This was a goofy pattern that I tried with some chartreuse dragon tails. Fed five fish last week! Unfortunately, my Dad broke one off and this one fell apart.

Then we used the guide's flies the next day...

IMG_3397.jpeg

Fought both fish for 20+ minutes when the hooks broke. Flies had never been fished before, and I believe they were tied on Gamakatsu SL12S (though I'm not sure). I wasn't too bummed as I had already gotten the best of the fish (lots of jumps).
Willy Franzen

Post Number:#14  Postby petevicar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:14 pm

Hi Flavio

Which of the 1000 islands in the Bahamas are you going to?

There are a lot of differences in the fishing.

Pete
IANACI
petevicar

Post Number:#15  Postby Paul Arden » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:48 pm

That’s interesting that they both break. How did it feel? 1-2 or 1?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration... Bring Flyrods
Flycasting Definitions
Sexyloops Shop
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post Number:#16  Postby Willy Franzen » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:33 pm

Paul Arden wrote:That’s interesting that they both break. How did it feel? 1-2 or 1?

Cheers, Paul

I think I understand the question... the line just went limp both times. No 1-2, just 1. I assumed it was a broken tippet, and then reeled in a fraction of a fly. Both fish were over 100 lbs and had run relatively far away and deep (one was in a shipping channel and quite deep compared to where he was hooked). I was pulling about as hard as I thought I could trying to regain some line, and they weren't budging. There was no jump or movement from the fish either time, just sustained pulling on both end and sudden limpness (there's a dirty joke in there somewhere). We were a little more than 10 minutes in on the first fish and about 20 minutes on the second fish when the hooks broke.

The hooks obviously broke in different spots. My guess would be that part of the jaw served as a fulcrum and the hook was pivoting around that point during the fight leading to weakening and eventual breakage.
Willy Franzen

Post Number:#17  Postby Fla » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:26 pm

Wow, what a shark James! How heavy was this fish? And how much line did it take? Must have been a long fight?

Thanks for showing the tarpon fly, Willy. Too bad that the hooks broke. I don't expect to see any tarpon on this trip. Hope I will get the opportunity to fish for them someday :)

Hi Pete, I am going to Long Island for 3 weeks in April. I'm a newbie in saltwater fishing, and most of my knowledge is just theory. Do you have any specific tips for Long island? James was helping a lot in the planning so far, that was very helpful! Thanks again, James :)

What do you mean with 1-2 or 1, Paul?

No more tying so far...
Fla

Post Number:#18  Postby James9118 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:53 pm

Fla wrote:Wow, what a shark James! How heavy was this fish? And how much line did it take? Must have been a long fight?

Thanks :D . I've never weighed one, so don't know. That fish isn't as thin as it looks in the picture, the water refracting the light makes its belly look slim. My ambition is to catch a 100lb plus fish from the shore on fly tackle - I think I'll know when I've achieved this :cool: . Tracy did hook one once that was three times the size of the one in the photo, unfortunately the leader cut through very late on in the fight.

Lemon sharks fight similar to bonefish i.e. they give almost everything in their first run - this is long, even against a stiff drag. Once stopped they tend to just kite parallel, so you have to work quite hard against their bulk to get them back in. They then tend to have a shorter second run when their belly touches the sand. I like to encourage this as it makes sure they're properly tired before you beach them - I'd rather be unhooking a tired shark rather than a lively one :laugh:

The big shark that Tracy hooked went on the longest run I've witnessed. Against the full drag on her reel it went an easy 250 metres. She got it all the way back so that more than half the fly-line was on the reel before she lost it. Maybe this time :ninja:
James9118

Post Number:#19  Postby Paul Arden » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:16 pm

I think it may be easier/safer to start measuring them in feet! :D

By 1-2 I was wondering if the hooks broke together or one and then the other. (Together obviously or very close apart).

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration... Bring Flyrods
Flycasting Definitions
Sexyloops Shop
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post Number:#20  Postby Fla » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:26 pm

I was quite busy in the last few days. My tying preparations got interrupted by a 7wt rod build and a casting course with Bernd Ziesche. Still managed to tie a few more clousers (some with EP fibers), Gotchas and some streamers....
moreFlies.jpg

bucktail2.jpg

ster.jpg
Fla

PreviousNext

Return to Flytying