PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Super glue and saltwater

Moderator: Viking Lars

James9118

Re: Super glue and saltwater

Post by James9118 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:11 am

Lou Bruno wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:30 am
James
So is using super glue a waste?
Any alternative?
Loi
I still use it, so I don't think I'm wasting my time. When I'm feeling particularly frugal I recycle flies that I've retired because they've come apart (after being chewed by lots of fish obviously :D ). When I strip the remaining materials down to the glued bits I still find there's a lot of strength left and the glue has to be chipped off. I couldn't tell you the age or exposure (to saltwater) of these flies though - with bonefish I tend to leave the same fly on until it gets wrecked - this could happen in 1 day or a couple of days (or it could go back in the box if it's been rejected and I have changed pattern).

Cheers, James

Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:42 am

James
I do and find the same thing.
Thanks
Lou

Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:48 am

Paul
I like your idea too. I've used a mono loop and single strand of mono puncturing the strip. Also using additional thread wraps at the tie in point....like tying a parachute style fly. Eliminating the need for mono or extra thread wraps would be beneficial.
Thanks
Lou

George C

Post by George C » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:47 pm

It has been standard practice for decades to use superglue for crease flies. It works fine and that glue joint is stressed more than most other connections made in fly tying.

Return to “Flytying”