PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Super glue and saltwater

Moderator: Viking Lars

James9118
Answers: 0

Re: Super glue and saltwater

Post by James9118 »

Lou Bruno wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:30 am James
So is using super glue a waste?
Any alternative?
Loi
I still use it, so I don't think I'm wasting my time. When I'm feeling particularly frugal I recycle flies that I've retired because they've come apart (after being chewed by lots of fish obviously :D ). When I strip the remaining materials down to the glued bits I still find there's a lot of strength left and the glue has to be chipped off. I couldn't tell you the age or exposure (to saltwater) of these flies though - with bonefish I tend to leave the same fly on until it gets wrecked - this could happen in 1 day or a couple of days (or it could go back in the box if it's been rejected and I have changed pattern).

Cheers, James
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

James
I do and find the same thing.
Thanks
Lou
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Paul
I like your idea too. I've used a mono loop and single strand of mono puncturing the strip. Also using additional thread wraps at the tie in point....like tying a parachute style fly. Eliminating the need for mono or extra thread wraps would be beneficial.
Thanks
Lou
George C

Post by George C »

It has been standard practice for decades to use superglue for crease flies. It works fine and that glue joint is stressed more than most other connections made in fly tying.
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

There are many different types of superglues (CA) for many different types of applications. My preferred is Loktite Gel, but most of the Loktite ca's are high quality as they're made for commercial industrial purposes. Just do the thing that comes naturally to men, read the label and make your choice. Some are made to be used in water.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Tangled

Post by Tangled »

Zap-a-Gap is the superglue most of us use as it's supposed to be waterproof.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I use superglue extensively when leading flies, making poppers, securing dumbbells etc. Foam to foam is usually excellent - there is a chemical reaction going on there because the foam gets hot! Foam to shank or thread base is another thing altogether and I’m always having the reaffix popper heads that start rotating around the shank or sometimes the entire lead body starts rotating. It obviously helps but you wouldn’t expect superglued eyes to stay in place very long for example? At least they don’t for me.

However I was actually unaware that there is a difference in quality of glues :upside: Is zap-a-gap so much better? Would that hold eyes in place for example? I do like the gels and the bottles with brushes. For some reason I can’t get the gels in Malaysia but Martyn kindly brought me over an excellent supply’s worth from Japan on his last trip.

Incidentally I wouldn’t personally use superglue on rabbit because it seeps into the skin and goes hard/brittle.

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

I don't know about "different qualities" Paul, more designed for different applications. They were apparently originally invented for sticking together major wounds in the field of combat, ie Vietnam, where wounds could be glued together long enough to get soldiers back to hospital, so that would have been a pretty "wet" environment.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I had to read up on that and while they were used for this application their original invention actually goes back to WW2. However for bonding skin I can attest that they are excellent! A nice read here https://scottiestech.info/2016/07/10/su ... -you-dont/ Here in the tropics I get one use out of a tube of glue. The next time I open the tube it’s normally solid!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

When I was twelve I cut my left index finger to the bone, it was glued at hospital rather than stitched, cut the same finger again as bad 20 years ago, got three stitches, scar is nicer with stitches 🤣

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Flytying”