PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Flies for Perch - Any suggestions?

Moderator: Viking Lars

Bendix
Answers: 0

Flies for Perch - Any suggestions?

Post by Bendix »

Hi All

I happen to have a couple of days off from work, here in the middle of the busy Christmas shopping… How lucky am I?

However, as there is no chance of fishing in sight, I have decided to spend the days on tying up a nice box of Perch flies (European Perch - Perca fluviatilis). I have already tied a couple, but find that I’m lacking a bit of inspiration… And both google and YouTube doesn’t seem to offer anything good…

So my question is: Does anyone here, have some suggestions on any Perch flies that I simply “need” to tie?

Any suggestion is much appreciated!

/Bendix
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Flies for Perch - Any suggestions?

Post by Paul Arden »

Big perch or small perch? :) I used to catch a lot of smaller perch on attracter type flies when trout fishing. They seem to like colour and flash. Big perch on the other hand seem to like big flies!

Ross in Jersey put me onto the “Game Changer” tied and coloured to look like a smaller perch.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Hi Bendix,

I'm fishing a lot for perch, basically anything for smallmouth bass works for perch too, No. 1 perhaps are Bob Clouser's flies especially the minnow -

another fly that I like is the "Near Nuff Sculpin" from Dave Whitlock:

bonefish patterns are good, like the pink puff (in murky water):

http://flymastery.com/pink-puffs-a-must ... or-andros/

Sometimes small jig flies are great too.

Torsten.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hi,

Wolly buggers of all kinds works well. I also catch a lot of them on damselnymphs. Boobies also works. Zonkers.

/Thomas
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

Hi again

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I ended up tying a bunch of Clouser Minnows and some Wolly Buggers and Zonkers of different colors. Plus the Near ‘Nuff Sculpin looked so interesting, that I tied a few of those as well (However, I used a bead instead of the eyes, as I didn’t have the correct eyes…). Hope this change doesn’t affect the fly too much…

Again, thanks for your suggestions!

/Bendix
Magnus H

Post by Magnus H »

A bit too late I guess, but the Martins minnow is a great perch fly.

/Magnus
flickingfeathers

Post by flickingfeathers »

another vote for Martin's minnow. Also balanced leeches can be fantastic fished slightly over depth on an indicator so you can vertically hop them off the lake bed.

Return to “Flytying”