PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

a word of vise

Moderator: Viking Lars

t.z.
Answers: 0

a word of vise

Post by t.z. »

steelehead wrote:Thanks all. The Regal is really nice, most of my tying buddies use it for ages without problems.
There are some vises around that I have to take a look at, such as the Anvil Apex, the Orvis vise, TMC and the Stenzel vise.
I do not like the idea of spending los of money on a product that does not allow exchanging the jaws for example.
Very easy to swap the head of the Regal. They offer three versions. I have yet to find a hook the stainless steel head didn't hold on to like a bulldog an anger pills.

I tested the Stenzel and it was not very well made. The kaiman I mentioned before also fell through now. The Regal type meachnism needs way to much force to open the jaws. I have quite strong hands and struggled.

The Vossler looks cool though. Have not had a chance to tie on it though.
steelehead

a word of vise

Post by steelehead »

Hi,
thanks all for the hints and recommendations - a nice tackle dealer made me go for the Anvil Apex vise. Already tied some 20 seatrout flies on it, so guess I'm back in the game.

@t.z.: The regal is a nice tool for hand-workouts. Think they should target the climbing or crossfit scene, too. I visited the EWF fishing fair near Munich this year and Mr Stenzel himself did a pole dance on his vise, however I was not convinced. The Vosseler looks like some designer trying to change everything that worked for ages, my tying place is simply not tidy enough for a suction pad... and it feels rather lightish. Had a chance to touch it on the EWF, too.

Best,
Christian
Hornbeam

Re: a word of vise

Post by Hornbeam »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:47 pm This is my current Vise - it's second hand - no idea how old. I have other vises of course, but I have this one with me because it's good for travelling. The clamp is too small but that's another story! Even this I think is over engineered.
The vice you have shown, Paul, is the old Veniard 'Salmo' model, which used to be their top model. I had one for many years (bought in the 1970s to replace my first vice, the hugely sophisticated Veniard 'Elwye' model). I then sold it, much to my later regret. It was a pretty good vice. I was -at the time- seduced by more expensive imports. I think I was to blame (in part) for introducing British fly tiers to 'high end' fly tying vices when I was editor of 'Flydresser' magazine and featured reviews of HMH, Dynaking, Regal, Renzetti, etc.

Best to all,
Tony
t.z.

Re: a word of vise

Post by t.z. »

t.z. wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:23 am
steelehead wrote:Thanks all. The Regal is really nice, most of my tying buddies use it for ages without problems.
There are some vises around that I have to take a look at, such as the Anvil Apex, the Orvis vise, TMC and the Stenzel vise.
I do not like the idea of spending los of money on a product that does not allow exchanging the jaws for example.
Very easy to swap the head of the Regal. They offer three versions. I have yet to find a hook the stainless steel head didn't hold on to like a bulldog an anger pills.

I tested the Stenzel and it was not very well made. The kaiman I mentioned before also fell through now. The Regal type meachnism needs way to much force to open the jaws. I have quite strong hands and struggled.

The Vossler looks cool though. Have not had a chance to tie on it though.
No idea why this thread came up again ... shortly after that post I got a Vosseler and have never looked back. Best vise ever for me. Why you might ask? This thing, to my big astonishment never caught on. I guess it looked to futuristic for the majority of the marked, which is a shame in way - but it needs too much explaining I guess and the marketing material looks cool, but did not show the vice in action really. What I really love is the suction cup base which holds in any position, even vertically on a window. OK, some surfaces aren't airtight enough, but one always finds a mirror somewhere (ask an old cokehead .... )

The other huge advantage of that vice is that can very easily adjust the working hight. The difference of the lowest to the highest position is around 15cm. That's amazing and unparalleled. The jaws work brilliantly. The one with the "eye" to set the hook in does not need to be tightened very much at all. The modular design makes it very good toolbox too. You could even have one other vice heads in your fishing vest / bag should you need a needle vise for making leader / line connections.

So I have one and a m looking for another one of the very first designs withe the pointier head. ...

Cheers,
TZ

Return to “Flytying”