PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

a word of vise

Moderator: Viking Lars

steelehead
Answers: 0

a word of vise

Post by steelehead »

Hi,
my tying vise broke down recently, was a cheap Regal copy so I knew it was going to happen.
However I need a new one and the market seems to be pretty complex: What is your "best value for its price" recommendation?
Need a simple vise, hooksizes 20-6 not essentially a rotating vise. Should last several hundred flies without problems.

Thanks for your help,
Christian
John Finn

a word of vise

Post by John Finn »

http://www.bluedotmediashop.dk/product.asp?product=3237

Have a look at this. Think its the same as a Renzetti. Good price.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

a word of vise

Post by Paul Arden »

Anything more than about 30 quid for me is an unnecessary expense. But if it doesn't last for 10,000 flies I'm going to be very pissed off! Personally I prefer lever action heads for speed but the current Vice I'm using seems fine and has a good grip. Where it does need consideration is very small sub 20 hooks. I think that - and Tropical SW - really need separate vises or at least different jaws!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

a word of vise

Post by Paul Arden »

This is my current Vise - it's second hand - no idea how old. I have other vises of course, but I have this one with me because it's good for travelling. The clamp is too small but that's another story! Even this I think is over engineered.
Attachments
vise.jpg
vise.jpg (85.01 KiB) Viewed 9130 times

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

a word of vise

Post by Paul Arden »

I've had one of these for many years http://www.veniard.com/product2968/section19/

Flycasting Definitions
queenfish

a word of vise

Post by queenfish »

Here is one coasts peanuts.
It works better than the dyna king for trout hooks It holds, # 18 to 6/0 hooks you can not move them.
I don't have any bigger hook to try.
Attachments
024.jpg
Paul Arden
Site Admin

a word of vise

Post by Paul Arden »

Looks a bit over engineered there, Vince :cool:

For the last few years travelling around NZ I could't be bothered to carry a vise - heavy and never anywhere to clamp it anyway; so I ended up using forceps.

For the first years of tying flies I didn't know they had bobbin holders. I used to let the bobbin roll around the floor, holding the thread while I around looked for materials. In fact discovering that they had fly tying thread was another revelation!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
t.z.

a word of vise

Post by t.z. »

Regal Medallion with stainless steel jaws is maybe th best thing money can buy. I personally like the very heavy base which comes with it. Never liked attaching vises to a table.

There are several cheap copies out there but they tend break eventually - and adding a base to them jacks the price up quite a bit.

tmc makes a good simple vice too. I recently came across the Stonfo Kaiman which looks good too.
steelehead

a word of vise

Post by steelehead »

Thanks all. The Regal is really nice, most of my tying buddies use it for ages without problems.
There are some vises around that I have to take a look at, such as the Anvil Apex, the Orvis vise, TMC and the Stenzel vise.
I do not like the idea of spending los of money on a product that does not allow exchanging the jaws for example.
Flyfishfairwx

a word of vise

Post by Flyfishfairwx »

Best value for the price is a Nor-vise, engineered by an engineer, and incredibly easy to use..

If you are in Germany then maybe you fly fish for Pike? this is the vise to hold the big pike hooks and tiny hooks with ease
Everybody has to believe in something and I believe in Fly fishing and Fly tying and believe I will.
As in the army I have never had a bad day fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one.

Return to “Flytying”