PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

hi speed tying vids

Moderator: Viking Lars

t.z.
Answers: 0

hi speed tying vids

Post by t.z. »

I hope you are enjoying the fb's I have posted lately. I wouldn't know as traditionally there is not much feedback on flytying fp's. Anyway - some of the latest writings included very hi-speed tying videos.

The time and effort putten into these 30 to 50 seconds bursts was rather immense and is not visible to the eye. To be able to post videos on Instagram they have to be und 1 minute. So I experimented further with the already pretty short 3 to 4 Minute tying videos I had generated for my book. These video feature subtitles / captioning, which Instagram does not seem to like. So I took them away and sped put the vids by a great margin.

I find this interesting as I think all the elements are still visible. But I am a bad judge of my own work as I know it inside out. So I ask you what is your impression?

However, the Videos get a very good respons on Instagram. I might do more with that material and format.
Neil Owens

hi speed tying vids

Post by Neil Owens »

They’re great but without audio some on screen text descriptors would be helpful

I’m not sure why Instagram doesn’t like your captions - how are you encoding them?
steelehead

hi speed tying vids

Post by steelehead »

The hi speed tying vids are really cool, especially as very often (youtube) tying videos start of with crappy music, boring blah and stretch for 15 minutes for a basic pattern... If you know what you're up for this length is just right.
Just started following your instagram, keep on the good work!
TrevH

hi speed tying vids

Post by TrevH »

Me too. I like the high speed vids.

Just looking at pike fly videos, some are over 25 minutes long. Way too long for me to watch someone tying one fly.

A beginner would want normal speed for demonstrations of technique but if you just want to see how someone tied a fly, high speed is great.

Love the way you tied the Griffiths Gnat, by the way. Not seen that before :pirate:
Nick

hi speed tying vids

Post by Nick »

Yes, I also love the high speed tying vids. They are the only ones I actually watch start to finish.

Do people who make fly tying videos actually take that long to tie their flies? Or do they slow it down for the purposes of video demonstration? If you can only tie two or three flies in an hour, how do you ever find time to go fishing?

N.
t.z.

hi speed tying vids

Post by t.z. »

Neil Owens wrote:They’re great but without audio some on screen text descriptors would be helpful

I’m not sure why Instagram doesn’t like your captions - how are you encoding them?
Well, those interested in a proper manual need to go the long way and get the book. :ninja: This is why I wrote it. It's hideous to believe that a short video, even a 10 minute one - goes enough information to "learn" fly tying. For someone having basic knowledge a 30 to 60 second video is enough to grasp the concept of the pattern.

The answers here and reactions elsewhere support this opinion.
t.z.

hi speed tying vids

Post by t.z. »

steelehead wrote:The hi speed tying vids are really cool, especially as very often (youtube) tying videos start of with crappy music, boring blah and stretch for 15 minutes for a basic pattern... If you know what you're up for this length is just right.
Just started following your instagram, keep on the good work!
Thanks a lot. Thats's good to hear.

However, it is ich more work to cut a 30 second video from 15 minutes fo raw materials than just posting this onto youtube and stitch a river sequence and some elevator music to it ;-)
t.z.

hi speed tying vids

Post by t.z. »

TrevH wrote:Me too. I like the high speed vids.

Just looking at pike fly videos, some are over 25 minutes long. Way too long for me to watch someone tying one fly.

A beginner would want normal speed for demonstrations of technique but if you just want to see how someone tied a fly, high speed is great.

Love the way you tied the Griffiths Gnat, by the way. Not seen that before :pirate:
Thx. Yeah, that was fun to find out that this fly can be tied so quickly. :yeahhh: The principle of this tying an be taken further into many other fly designs.
t.z.

hi speed tying vids

Post by t.z. »

Nick wrote:Yes, I also love the high speed tying vids. They are the only ones I actually watch start to finish.

Do people who make fly tying videos actually take that long to tie their flies? Or do they slow it down for the purposes of video demonstration? If you can only tie two or three flies in an hour, how do you ever find time to go fishing?

N.
Well, I guess they slow down so they can talk at the same time and explain what they do. What I find more disturbing is that more than often materials and techniques are introduced just for the sake of making a more "interesting" tying video. There are a lot of fly gluers out there, much lesser actual tiers. It's hideous and often downright bullshit in my eyes. :pirate:
t.z.

hi speed tying vids

Post by t.z. »

But of course it's a lot of interesting stuff there too ....

Return to “Flytying”