PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Damsel dragonflies

Moderator: Viking Lars

Fla
Answers: 0

Damsel dragonflies

Post by Fla »

Looks slightly better than mine, but you forgot the hook!
dragonfly4.jpg
dragonfly3.jpg
dragonfly1.jpg
Cheers
Fla
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Damsel dragonflies

Post by Paul Arden »

I think this week we should have a dragonfly competition! :cool:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Viking Lars

Damsel dragonflies

Post by Viking Lars »

How about you organise a dragon fly swap :-)?

L
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Damsel dragonflies

Post by Paul Arden »

That's a great idea. Let me just finish the current one and I'm on it.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
piffilus

Damsel dragonflies

Post by piffilus »

Nice dragonflies. Do you have tips on other Gourami patterns that I can tie up before I come to visit? I have made some sad excuses for fireflies, the yellow parachute pattern -that Flavio showed me. I'll make some termites too. Everything is with yellow foam though... Any other one you can think of?
I did a pull test on a hook from a package of Daiichi Xpoint Saltwater, size 8 Style:X452 and I read nearly 7 kg before it straightened, it might have been more. I might test another hook and two of those hooks in size 6. The size 8 is good for termites, yes?

https://mistpool.com/en/product/721/dai ... -x452.html
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Damsel dragonflies

Post by Paul Arden »

8 is fine I often use 10 too. Definitely tie some ants. Not just termites. Size 10 is fine. My first Gourami was on a size 16. There are duns here - size 8 Humpy. I fished Humpies for my first dozen or so.

Wets- has to be something in this. Maybe Soldier Palmer, Black and Peacock, Zulu. Also damsel nymphs - Dirk got busted on one a few years back.

There are Cicada around at the moment, but none on the lake. I haven’t seen a Gourami in over 2 weeks.

Figs. I still don’t have a fig pattern that works. They are the size of a ping pong ball. I’ll check the boat tomorrow to see when the fig times were last year.

Also beetles are definelly part of their diet!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Damsel dragonflies

Post by Paul Arden »

That looks like a nice hook. When you are over should be prime Gourami time. Looking forward to it :D

Flycasting Definitions
piffilus

Damsel dragonflies

Post by piffilus »

I will check those wet flies out. I take it that it's ant with wings you mean, black and maybe some red in them. I guess it's a bit hard to mimmick the figs, I imagine that they float very low in the water.

If you are interested in the hooks I could order some and bring to you, just state the size you want.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Damsel dragonflies

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks mate, I’ll have a closer look.

Mostly the ants are all black. I just take a black pen to my termite pattern. Most of my Gourami last year after you had gone were on this.

Yep, the figs float low. I think deer hair is translucent. And that’s why it doesn’t work. Maybe I shall paint them! It’s a pity the fig tree is where it is, ie next to the resort. Not so nice to fish there. There were two other fig trees on the lake, both with smaller figs. One fell in two years ago and is now dead. Tim caught his 5KG Snakehead next to it while the leaves were still green :cool: The other is on Flavio Insect Island (close to Millipede Island) but so far I’ve only seen small Gourami eating these figs.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
piffilus

Damsel dragonflies

Post by piffilus »

What colour are the duns? The humpys that I have seen have yellow abdomen. Going to the shop to buy material today so it would be good to know.

Return to “Flytying”