PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

z knot

Moderator: Viking Lars

t.z.
Answers: 0

z knot

Post by t.z. »

Graeme H

z knot

Post by Graeme H »

AKA the Eugene Bend or the Quick Penny.
FFi CCI
t.z.

z knot

Post by t.z. »

Graeme H wrote:AKA the Eugene Bend or the Quick Penny.
Yeah, figured it must have several names ...
James9118

z knot

Post by James9118 »

It's a strong knot too:
Hook knots.jpg
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

z knot

Post by Paul Arden »

Interesting story behind that 10-turn 1/2 blood. For years I was winning Knot-offs with the Eugene Bend, having been shown it by Haysie in Tas - I'm teaching fly fishing to a Dutch chap in Malaysia and offer a knot-off. He ties the 10-turn half blood and time and again I lose. So that's how I learned it was stronger. He's a pike angler. Apparently they know their shit! :cool:

If only we had a dropper knot stronger than a Eugene Bend...I don't think we will match the 10-turn. That's up there with the Bimini (and I'm very doubtful we can beat the Eugene with dropper knots anyway).

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Geenomad

z knot

Post by Geenomad »

Interesting thing about James' tests that caught my eye was the variability in the breaking point in some knots and the lack of it in the uni knot.

Also of note was that the Eugene bend under test seems to have been the 2 turn version. The 3 turn version held up better in my tests - which btw include a bit of a snap instead of a constant pull.

Paul. I agree about relative strength of hook and dropper knots being a problem. I'd prefer the fish to get away with just a single fly than with several yards of non degradable leader and a couple of other flies to boot if the break is at the top dropper.

These days I vary the knots in the cast with that in mind. It doesn't give full control over breakage points but it does ease my conscious a bit. :)

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Paul Arden
Site Admin

z knot

Post by Paul Arden »

It's a great knot. One thing however if it doesn't "pop" when tightening tie it again. Stupidly I lost not one but two Gourami for this reason.

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

z knot

Post by Boisker »

That pop has been infuriating me, the knot works fine 3 times then out of the blue no pop... so have to re-tie, even though it feels like you have done nothing different.
Out fishing last week I had a nightmare, the ratio seemed to switch and 3 out of 4 there was no pop... I briefly switched to a different knot as it was starting to piss me off.

So tonight I had a look at what was causing it at my tying desk with a bright lamp.

Turns out it’s really straight forward...

When you have tied the knot but not tightened it down to the eye on the hook, so you have a loop between the eye and the knot you have to make sure the loop isn’t twisted at all.... no twist and the knot pops every time.... at ******* last!

I think the twist is more common if you’re lazy like me and use forceps to tie the knot, but it’s real easy to turn the hook as you tighten the knot and avoid any twists...
Paul Arden
Site Admin

z knot

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s very interesting. Thanks Matt. Could you see what causes the pop? Does some part of the knot invert?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

z knot

Post by Boisker »

No, I couldn’t, other than it doesn’t sit properly, but I didn’t look that closely... I was tying in 6x as that usually causes the most issue on the river, so the knot was really small. if I remember next time at the desk I’ll see if I can see anything through my magnifying lense.

I hope my first post was what was actually causing the non-pop on the knot... after I thought i’d worked out what was casu8ng the problem I must have tied it 20 times being careful and watching the line didn’t twist as I tightened... time will tell on the river.

Return to “Flytying”