PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Flytying Desks

Moderator: Viking Lars

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Flytying Desks

Post by Paul Arden »

For the past two decades my flytying kit had been contained in various plastic tool boxes and crammed into a plastic pouch. Occaisionally it’s got wet and started crawling away. However the plan is to create some sort of flytying work station which I can then move to the houseboat.

What does your flytying area look like? We’ve bought a mattress for the house. I think a flytying desk should be next. I have access to lots of bamboo.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker
Answers: 0

Flytying Desks

Post by Boisker »

Mine is currently on a rubbish old desk table and crammed for space next to a wardrobe in a spare bedroom... no photo needed, imagine a cluttered mess :(

Next summer I intend to upgrade and build a... floor to ceiling wardrobe / doors... that keeps the other half happy and will allow me to design and build a decent fly tying desk...

I’d like to make it with a shallow curve, draws to the floor either side, raised shallow draws running up the wall off the back of the desk at each corner, with a built in white sighting board in the middle; routed location for the vice base.
Things I still need to decide on-
Best method and location to mount 2 lamps and large magnifier
What surface to have as the desk top... i’ve been toying with the idea of routing in white plastic sheet, scratch resistant 3mm thick...
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Flytying Desks

Post by Paul Arden »

A completely white desktop is a great idea - thanks. I’ve always had problems with boxes and other containers in that no matter how big or small they are I always completely manage to cram them full :O

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
flickingfeathers

Flytying Desks

Post by flickingfeathers »

I have a cheap Ikea desk, and I store most of my tying stinff I zip wallets in A4 and A3 size in large plastig bins behind my chair.
When I get the new tying room sorted out I'll take a photo.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Flytying Desks

Post by Paul Arden »

Ashly has got it into her head that we will build all of our furniture using drift wood and bamboo. Today while fishing she would point out root systems that could be used for table legs (instead of Snakehead). It’s quite disturbing. So I imagine that I will end up building a flytying desk. :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
flickingfeathers

Flytying Desks

Post by flickingfeathers »

https://scontent-nrt1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/48359187_2304268023151936_8545972251650949120_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-nrt1-1.xx&oh=f0206a39b447951b753651964f554bd7&oe=5CB0E834
Here's my set up
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Flytying Desks

Post by Paul Arden »

Great! That’s the sort of mess I want to make in the living room - but with more roadkill. The first thing you should see when you open the front door is fluff. :cool:

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Flytying Desks

Post by Paul Arden »

Just bought a table today and a couple of chairs. Looking forward to making a mess :666:

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Flytying Desks

Post by Paul Arden »

Now I need to find my bloody vice!
Attachments
1EE116A2-DA87-4A24-B8DB-B58F7CA3CABF.jpeg

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Flytying Desks

Post by Paul Arden »

So... now that my kit has exploded, what are the best systems for accessible storage?

Thanks!
Attachments
78398DF7-F684-4E36-BEA0-852F6CA73AF3.jpeg

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flytying”