PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Do you wax on or wax off?

Moderator: Viking Lars

piffilus
Answers: 0

Re: Do you wax on or wax off?

Post by piffilus »

I just ordered some wax from the Feather Bender. I'm looking forward to try it out :pirate: :)
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

I use wax on dubbing loops only.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

It all depends on the type of dubbing one is using. The amount of dubbing needed and the way it is applied to the thread is often misunderstood and for dry flies most people would be ok with about 10% of the dubbing they actually use.

Fine, short fibre dubbing aka. hair fibres take from a hares ear are best used with a bit of fresh wax on the thread to help it stick. Long fibre dubbing (FlyRite for example) does not need wax as it is spun on to the thread in the same direction (note to Paul) one is twisting thread due the winding it onto a hoo manually. (this is different when using a true rotary vise like the Norvise for example)

I personally use Ski wax (blue) for the most jobs. For traditional North Country spiders I of course use cobblers wax. However, dubbing is not used very often for those flies. >The thread is silk in this case. Here the wax should protect the natural material of the thread from rotting.

Return to “Flytying”