PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Balanced Flies

Moderator: Viking Lars

Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

Balanced Flies

Post by Lou Bruno »

Recently I've been reading about this topic. Most of my tying is focused on saltwater patterns, where balance should be considered.
I test a fly for movement (balance) prior to tying any quantity. Admittedly, the flies I tie should hover, have done so by balancing the hook size to material...not complicated.

But, there are tiers who purposely incorporate balance.

Like to hear from tiers that consider balance when tying.

Lou
Jonathan

Balanced Flies

Post by Jonathan »

Lou I have used balanced flies of a type (not sure if this is how you are doing it).
Phil Rowley has had a balanced leaches topic on YouTube for some years and coincidentally the video "Weighty matters" very recently posted on YouTube also included balanced nymphs.
I do test almost all my flies, whatever type.
Jon
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Balanced Flies

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi guys,

The only time I think about it is when mounting dumbbell style eyes; I fit them further back from the eye closer to the middle. There are some flies - dog nobblers for example - where the nodding action is supposed to be a feature. A fly that springs to mind for this topic is the Missionary which has a mallard feather tied flat across the shank so that the fry pattern drops horizontally aligned horizontally. It’s not a fly I’ve used for decades however.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lou Bruno

Balanced Flies

Post by Lou Bruno »

Jon
Thanks for the info, I'll check into that.
Lou
Lou Bruno

Balanced Flies

Post by Lou Bruno »

Jon
Had a chance to view the link you sent...interesting concept, that incorporates the idea of "balancing" the fly to generate specific movement.

My reading was more in line with Pauls comment. Meaning, we add weight, material, hook choice, etc;
That helps us achieve a specific movement, whether a fly that jigs, sinks, suspends, etc.

When I first began tying I didn’t think about "balance." Now, I do, I'm thinking about hook, material, material placement, do I need additional weight...you get the picture.

I test new flies I tie, actually in a canel, for balance...movement.

But, I like the link you provided, I'm thinking about using that on my saltwater flies.

Lou
ACW

Balanced Flies

Post by ACW »

The missionary has had an effect on some of my gotoo patterns
,most in use is my silkcut shrimp which features a tied flat wing purple tippet
also some smaller wets with flat wings
This style with a wobble as they sink bring me some extra fish .They also fish on the swing or retreive.

Return to “Flytying”