PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

old fashioned

Moderator: Viking Lars

flickingfeathers
Answers: 0

old fashioned

Post by flickingfeathers »

Following from my FP I'm doing some more of these old fashioned flies. Here's a Greenwell's with an old fashioned bunched and split wing of starling. It's a tricky winging style to get right, especially with starling, and a fly with a normal slip wing(or even EP) will catch just as many fish I'm sure. But I do think there's a benefit to maintaining/developing these skills.

As an aside, I've all but run out of pearsall's and have been using the Fly Only silks and find them quite nice. I'm also waiting on a the selection from 54 dean street to try out.
Viking Lars

Re: old fashioned

Post by Viking Lars »

Exquisite tying! I have Greenwell's in the box as well, and I love fishing them.
It's quite difficult getting the fly just right in terms of scruffiness, in a pattern that doesn't really lend itself well to scruffiness, unless you get the wings just right (or maybe just a little bit wrong?).

Lars
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I haven’t tied split wings in close to 30 years. I’ll have a go when I’m next at a vise to see if I still can :D

Thanks,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
flickingfeathers

Viking Lars wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:07 pm Exquisite tying! I have Greenwell's in the box as well, and I love fishing them.
It's quite difficult getting the fly just right in terms of scruffiness, in a pattern that doesn't really lend itself well to scruffiness, unless you get the wings just right (or maybe just a little bit wrong?).

Lars
Thanks Lars. The cheapest Indian hen hackle is an important factor too. I think the key to the bunched and split wing is that they're always a little bit wrong :D
flickingfeathers

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:40 pm I haven’t tied split wings in close to 30 years. I’ll have a go when I’m next at a vise to see if I still can :D

Thanks,
Paul
it's like riding a bike...
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

I love Old Fashioned, but I can’t make my mind up wheter I prefer muddled sugar over simple syrup

Return to “Flytying”