PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Bernd's spinning fly

Moderator: Viking Lars

flickingfeathers
Answers: 0

Bernd's spinning fly

Post by flickingfeathers »

I like this a lot. Totally agree that it's a fly too.
I use poplips a lot here in Japan for seabass and black bass. I'm also playing around with the pro-sportfisher propellers on my floating minnows with good results.
Keen to hear what others think or are doing..
Bernd Ziesche

Re: Bernd's spinning fly

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Thanks a lot, mate! Bob Popvics said: "Fly tying is evolution." I couldn't agree more. Oh, and bass are indeed fish, which often are far better catchable on spinning lures/flies. Just the old typical straight fly movement will fail often! Of course I know, that a fair number of fly fishermen right now would outline to not wanting to catch the fish in the first place. And that's fair enough. But for me catching the fish at the end is one of my most important key points in fly FISHing. :)
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Looks like a Devon minnow. (http://www.fishingmuseum.org.uk/angels.html). I caught plenty of fish on those when I was a kid, though I haven’t used one in decades.

As for whether it’s a lure or a fly, I don’t care. If it works I’d use it.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s a difficult one for me. I’m pretty sure a Devon Minnow isn’t a fly :D but if you make it yourself - well then maybe it depends how you make it. I personally draw the line at pre fabricated shapes. But if I cut the same shape out of a bike inner tube or use silicone to fashion a smelt I’m still ok with calling it a fly.

On the other hand I’m actually fine to call it fly fishing if you throw it over the side attached to a leadline and motor around the lake and even fishing said patterns under a bubble float.

I’m not a fly fishing purist but I think everything I’ve done for most of the last 38 years has been fly fishing using my definitions. Of course I’ve bait fished, surf cast, spun in this time. And have no issues with any fishing method - I just prefer what I consider fly fishing.

Of course one of the reasons we fish the way we do, fly fishing /spinning maybe even bait is because of the different challenges it presents. There are a lot of fishermen on my lake who use nets. The army apparently also use grenades sometimes. Maybe a 12 WT would be good for casting grenades?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flytying”