PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Crab patterns

Moderator: Viking Lars

Cris
Answers: 0

Crab patterns

Post by Cris »

To me flies are either tied to be as realistic as possible to work or they are a collection of stimulus colour/movement/trigger points that represents a food source
Crabs come in a huge variety of shapes sizes and colours even in a localised area
Do you think tying a multitude of more specific patterns is better or a few broader spectrum patterns in variety of sizes, colours?
Trying to improve my crab tying and the permit post got me thinking
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Crab patterns

Post by Paul Arden »

It's a very good question Cris. I would be very surprised if you have to "match the hatch" in terms of crabs. I've caught permit on Clousers fished like crabs. But I simply don't know, but I'll know in about 15 years I reckon :D

One of my experiments will be a big leaded RFU fished like a crab. I've always believed that a smudge is better than a hard outline.

Looking forward to hearing thoughts from the experts.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
flickingfeathers

Post by flickingfeathers »

I only carry a few patterns-velcro, hooligan crab and maybe a fleeing crab- but in different colours to roughly match or contrast the bottom colour where I'm fishing.

In most situations I think flat's fish are being quite opportunistic and aren't usually keying on a specific size/type of crab.
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

Nothing is more "smudgy" than a big RFU :-).

Lars
flickingfeathers

Post by flickingfeathers »

flickingfeathers wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:55 am I only carry a few patterns-velcro, hooligan crab and maybe a fleeing crab- but in different colours to roughly match or contrast the bottom colour where I'm fishing.

In most situations I think flat's fish are being quite opportunistic and aren't usually keying on a specific size/type of crab.
i should have mentioned that i'll carry several weights of these- that's the most important thing with crabs IMHO

Return to “Flytying”