PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Chadwix wool

Moderator: Viking Lars

Tom Benson
Answers: 0

Chadwix wool

Post by Tom Benson »

Following Mr. Lars
the Wool At Jamieson"s ( Lerwick ) is, as appropriate , as you'll to get ( :sorcerer: ) to chad.....
Viking Lars

Re: Chadwix wool

Post by Viking Lars »

I agree - it's quite good :-).

Lars
Tom Benson

Post by Tom Benson »

Lars .....
In truth , the Killer Bug , is a Grayling designed 'Killer "......for me , the most beautiful of European Fish .
Rather leave it that.......
Tom
grunde

Post by grunde »

Viking Lars wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:44 am I agree - it's quite good :-).

Lars
Tom and Lars,
which colour? :pirate:

Mr. G.
"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful."
George E. P. Box

Always question the assumptions!

Flycasting Definitions
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

Can't remember the colour, Grunde, but the one you sent me samples of. I've since ordered enough to last my lifetime :-).
And yes, Tom, I know that Sawyer designed it to harvest grayling from the streams, but he has in fact also caught salmon on on the lower parts of the Avon.

Lars
Tom Benson

Post by Tom Benson »

Grunde.....my sample is " Oyster"...far to much in the hank { for me } ; so , if any members would like the remains.. they are welcome

Tom
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

I have wld theory to offer. Has any of you ever thought about the electricity generated by mixing copper and steel? The killer bug and the original pheasant tail are both tied with copper wire wound around the steel of the hook. No thread insulating in between. Fish certainly would react to that, wouldn't they?
grunde

Post by grunde »

Tom Benson wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:12 pm Grunde.....my sample is " Oyster"...far to much in the hank { for me } ; so , if any members would like the remains.. they are welcome

Tom
I also have a full hank of the colours Oyster and Sand, which I will not be able to finish in my lifetime :upside: :pirate:
"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful."
George E. P. Box

Always question the assumptions!

Flycasting Definitions
Hornbeam

Post by Hornbeam »

A SHORT STORY

One day, Mr Sawyer was making a nuisance of himself, rummaging through Mrs Sawyer's sewing basket. There were a few cards of darning wool inside. One was bottle green, another black and another navy blue. There was one other, with just a few turns of yarn left on it: a sort of pinky beige that Mrs Sawyer had used years earlier to darn a moth-eaten old cardigan, belonging to her brother-in-law. "Can I have this little bit?" pleaded Mr Sawyer. "Oh, all right", relented Mrs Sawyer, before telling him to bugger off and go and do something useful. That evening, Mr Sawyer was at his tying table in the corner. Using the pinky beige wool he'd earlier nicked from his wife's sewing basket, he tied some rather crude little maggot-shaped 'flies', weighted with some fine, lacquered copper wire that he'd scavenged from a transformer winding from an old broken radio. "Those look a bit shrimpy", he thought to himself. The rest is, of course, fly fishing history.

There really isn't anything particularly special about Chadwicks 477: it just happened to be the right sort of shade from a limited selection available at the time and except for the fact that it was discontinued long ago. The marvel is, that fly tiers have been hunting for the stuff with religious fervour for seventy odd years and paying sometimes quite bonkers money for this material when they do find it!

There is much daftness in fly fishing (not to mention, some pretty daft people). It's probably why I like it.

Return to “Flytying”