PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Removing grease from Dryflies

Moderator: Viking Lars

Bendix
Answers: 0

Re: Removing grease from Dryflies

Post by Bendix »

Hi Alain

Thanks for all the replies.

@Kevin
You are probably right about your advice, but I am not sure how comfortable I would be about using petrol on my flies... But thanks for the tip!

In the end, I think the best solution would be, that I simply use less gel on my flies in the future. And rather than applying a lot at once, I will use smaller amounts, and then simply apply more often.

/Bendix
flickingfeathers
Answers: 0

Re: Removing grease from Dryflies

Post by flickingfeathers »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:06 pm It might be a weird question, but why remove it? :D I would have thought these flies would possess excellent floatation properties.

I believe that there are, or were, some compounds that were supposedly able to impregnate flies permanently. For me I would think it a bonus!

Cheers, Paul
That's what I thought! I like to pre-treat dries and hairbugs with mucilin or watershed, sometimes more than once to get maximum floatation. If you have any excess floatant that bothers you, bit of heat and maybe a rub will get rid of that.

The other thing I wondered about was slime/floatant mix. Washing slime off properly instead of using a dessicant powder straight away will keep flies looking ad floating better.

Return to “Flytying”