PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Photos 2015

Moderator: JanMan

James9118
Answers: 0

Photos 2015

Post by James9118 »

Can't believe it's April and no one has started this thread. Anyway here's Tracy from today to kick things off.
CIMG7301.jpg
Glenda

Photos 2015

Post by Glenda »

Nice fish Tracy and James... Water looks very clear and blue. What kind of fish is that btw and could you see him in the water before you caught him?
"my biggest worry is that when I am dead and gone my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it". ......Koos Brandt
James9118

Photos 2015

Post by James9118 »

Glenda wrote:Nice fish Tracy and James... Water looks very clear and blue. What kind of fish is that btw and could you see him in the water before you caught him?
Hi Glenda,

It's a bonefish (we're in the Bahamas at the moment). Yes they're all sight-fished, you seen them in singles (tends to be the bigger fish), small groups of 2-6 fish or larger shoals (which tend to be the small ones).

I lost a very big one today :( .
Glenda

Photos 2015

Post by Glenda »

Lucky you two! One day for me..... Sorry about your lost fish, it could have been the next photo in 2015 :D
"my biggest worry is that when I am dead and gone my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it". ......Koos Brandt
James9118

Photos 2015

Post by James9118 »

Tracy with a small lemon shark from today. We've seen some real big ones on this trip - I had one that was easily 150lb spook on a 3 inch streamer :D .
CIMG7634.jpg
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Photos 2015

Post by Paul Arden »

Cool! What wire are you using for the leader, James? In fact what is the leader set-up for these sharks?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

Photos 2015

Post by James9118 »

Paul Arden wrote:Cool! What wire are you using for the leader, James? In fact what is the leader set-up for these sharks?

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul,

The setup I use is 9ft of 50lb with a perfection loop on the end. I then make up bite tippets of 16-18 inches from this stuff: http://www.sakuma.co.uk/p/262/sakuma-ny ... trace-wire (50lb). I crimp loops in either end - a bigger one for a loop-to-loop connection with the leader and a smaller one for attaching the fly via a small split ring.

The flies are a simple two-tone baitfish pattern. I just super-glued the eyes on and, unfortunately these are coming off. However getting more than one shark per fly is probably wishful thinking.
shark fly.jpg
I should add that I think these sharks are pretty leader shy (they're not chummed at all). This was proved today when I could only get follows on a slightly corroded wire but Tracy got a fish on a brand spanking one. This is not the first time I've noted this and I ditch the bite tippet after every shark or at any sign of discolouration (usually :D ).
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Photos 2015

Post by Paul Arden »

Where does it break when it does? I use a similar wire for Snakehead - 30lb Tyger wire, but Slim Beauty to tippet (or Albright - I have to compare these against each other) and then Lefty Loop to fly (Rapala knot is stronger - isn't it great when either pops? :cool: ). What are you doing at fly line end? I'm doubling over and tying three sets of whippings plus glue. Since having a "knot-off" with Jono, any time I need a mono loop I use a Bimini.

For a long time I was using UV glue with eyes and heads, but it doesn't work :p I'm going back to epoxy.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Photos 2015

Post by Paul Arden »

Do the crimps add much weight?

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

Photos 2015

Post by James9118 »

Paul Arden wrote:Do the crimps add much weight?
The crimps are negligible in weight compared to the wire and the fly.

I'm doing something similar at the end of the fly line - doubled over with 3 nail knots applied (Tracy's line has a pre-formed loop, this seems pretty reliable). I don't doubt that the bimini is a very strong knot, however it is also a stretchy knot - I've never really understood why you'd want that when trying to bury a hook into a hard-mouthed fish.

I'm not sure where my set-up breaks - I should engineer a weak link just to make sure I get the fly line back should the worst happen.

Cheers, James

Return to “Photography”