PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Carrying around a DSLR for fishing?

Moderator: JanMan

nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

Carrying around a DSLR for fishing?

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi all,

DSLR's are fantastic tools, but they can get in the way of fishing! Whenever I take my camera gear I always end up taking photos instead. Another words, sidetracked! Has anybody else noticed this?

I thought this might be fun, what is the most treacherous place you have been into with a DSLR and it came out unscathed? For me it was when I was caving and had to literally swim through the system! My friend put his go pro under the water, and when we got back we had a look at the footage and saw a 7 odd" brown trout that got washed in during the last flood! Quite exciting.

For those of you interested in the photo it was taken with a Nikon D810, Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8g @14mm, tripod and olight torch. :blush:

All the best

Nick
Attachments
image.jpeg
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Boisker

Re: Carrying around a DSLR for fishing?

Post by Boisker »

I’m the opposite Nick, whenever I take my DSLR out I’ll take a couple of photo’s when I arrive and before I start fishing, then I completely forget once I start fishing... I always carry a little Olympus tough camera which is far quicker to use. So the norm is I think “I’ll get the dslr out” then think next time and just use my tough.
I’m so lazy, I quite often use the tough for quick photo’s of flies rather than getting the dslr and tripod out, for a little 2nd hand camera the photo quality is ok
It won’t set the world alight, but takes decent enough photo’s for my requirements...

In terms of risky places to take a dslr, fishing and wading would definitely be the riskiest I head into :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s on my list of things that I really want to get. When I first went to NZ in ‘92 I had an SLR (no D back then!). I took very few photos with it. Because it was always in a waterproof bag in my pack! Waterproof point and shoot digital cameras that are small is a must for me. I have an Olympus Tough camera, a Go-Pro and of course my iPhone! All waterproof.

But a DSLR with a zoom capability would be fantastic for close up shots of rising snakehead and of course wildlife - hornbills, monkeys and so on. But taking it on foot into the jungle is unlikely for me; mostly it’s for photography in the boat. I would be terrified about drowning it.

From my experience with the SLR however I think it’s either fishing or photography and for me that always means I’m going fishing, even when I really need photos/videos. When Ronan and I were making videos together we both had camcorders. But because we both were so completely fish hungry it was difficult to get any video whatsoever :D

Later this year I’ll ask for some advice on what to buy!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Several trips out on the salt. That's nasty!

(I don't take it there any longer.)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Limpe Iven

Post by Limpe Iven »

Used to pack my DSLr gear on most trips, plus; great quality images, Minus; It consumes a lot of weight in the bagage package, body, some objectives, battery and charger, flash adds up to almost 7 to 8 KG's, changing objectives could result in dust on sensor, they are a pain to carry around, when wading you are restricted to a maximum wading depth to prevent the gear getting wet...
Most "adventerous" i did was wading with an off-camera flash in a fast flowing river, wading waist deep, not my idea of fun.

Asides from wading and fishing DSLR's are super for the scenic shots.

When fishing i make use of a gopro, i rarely take any pictures of what i caught anymore, i guess it's better for the fish, unhooking them and releasing them as fast as possible, downside of the gopro is the super wide angle shots, the lack of being able to make a decent shot nearby and the sh**ty battery-life.(oh and filming when you want to photograph and vice-versa ;) )
if a situation would occur where a decent shot of a fish, or action shot when fishing are needed, the DSLr is the only gear that comes close to a certain degree of quality, working speed and adaptabilty in my book.
Will try a fuji finepix soon on my next trip, see how that works out, leaving the DSLr at home (will take a bellyboat instead :) )
Still, you can take some decent shots with a gopro, also, when filming you can grab a screenshot from the film, in decent quality.

So, snaphots it is, at least when fishing..
Jason Stratford

Post by Jason Stratford »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:41 am From my experience with the SLR however I think it’s either fishing or photography
This is absolutely right...with the caveat that you can remove 'with the SLR' from the above quote.

If you are seeking routinely high quality action pics...then you cant be fishing and taking the pics! (Think casts pics, fish jumps, takes etc). Sure you can get lucky some times...but for the most part...you arent going to get the action shot if you are hanging on to the rod!

Scenery pics, colleagues, fly box shots, tackle, flora / fauna etc...(filler pics) are a separate consideration and image quality aside...most of these can be captured at leisure.

A couple of examples...
ASWFF 2048-35.jpg
ASWFF 2048-153.jpg
ASWFF 2048-159.jpg
A perfectly laid down 60 foot cast will catch more fish than casting to the backing knot on your 120' fly line...particularly when most times you'll just throw an 80 foot 'wiggle cast'.
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply, i keep forgetting what i've commented on :cool:
In terms of risky places to take a dslr, fishing and wading would definitely be the riskiest I head into
It's got to be hasn't it! I've never even thought of taking a second camera if i'm honest, that might be something to look into for sure, i do like the Olympus stuff! That fly is beautifully tied by the way!

I've used a Nikon F5 and F6, these were REALLY nice cameras :cool: did you travel a lot? It used to be a pain travelling with film, especially if you forget to put it in a lead lined bag as it went through the Xray machine :( Haven't used film for many years, it's really not that cost effective anymore. My favourite was E6 slide film, there was just something about it. It's quite expensive now though.

Yes, that's the problem! It's always buried in the bag, and you are in two minds whether to get it out :p
But a DSLR with a zoom capability would be fantastic for close up shots of rising snakehead and of course wildlife - hornbills, monkeys and so on. But taking it on foot into the jungle is unlikely for me; mostly it’s for photography in the boat. I would be terrified about drowning it.
That would be awesome :cool: You can get whether sealed DSLR's for light rain/dust etc, but not submerge proof. It depends how much you want to spend, i love my Nikon D810 and D750, and i use a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8g Vr2, 200-400mm f/4g Vr2 and occasionally a 85mm f/1.4g for wildlife. The 85mm is ridiculously sharp, and the contrast is amazing, it's really a nice 'portrait' lens. I also use a 2x teleconverter on the big lens to reduce depth of field :)

I've waded up to my chest with the 200-400mm on a floating platform to photograph water voles, that was scary, once false move and it would be in the drink. It's a far superior angle, quite literally eye level, it's a more compelling image. You might also want to purchase a circular polarising filter for your lens too :)
From my experience with the SLR however I think it’s either fishing or photography and for me that always means I’m going fishing, even when I really need photos/videos.
Ahh yes! I always end up doing one more than the other, it depends what mood i am in :laugh: Glad i'm not the only one that is fishing hungry!

Nice photos, Limpe! I'm assuming the OCF was to the left of the anglers? Did you put it on a tripod and use a light modifier, or was it just a straight flash? Looks great! absolutely, by the time you add up the weight it can get very heavy indeed! Do you use an external battery pack for the flash?

Cracking action shot of the Dorado!

All the best

Nick
Attachments
Wild Red Kite.jpg
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

I am not at the level of DSLR, but I was always late getting shots with my waterproof point and shoot. I just could not find a way to keep it handy. I am definitely a fishing first outdoors enthusiast.

The back packing I started to get to trout waters introduced me to all kinds of new equipment and one thing was a quick release camera clip. It is actually designed for real cameras like DSLRs, and for backpack straps, but it holds my P&S on my belt almost perfect!

Check out the "clip" at www.peakdesigns.com
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

That URL doesn’t work for me Gary!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Jason Stratford

Post by Jason Stratford »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:48 am That URL doesn’t work for me Gary!
www.peakdesign.com

I use a few of their products. Pricey...but the quality and very practical, well thought out designs make them worth every dollar!
A perfectly laid down 60 foot cast will catch more fish than casting to the backing knot on your 120' fly line...particularly when most times you'll just throw an 80 foot 'wiggle cast'.

Return to “Photography”