PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Film Thread

Moderator: JanMan

Stu Jamieson
Answers: 0

Film Thread

Post by Stu Jamieson »

That is interesting, Jan, thanks for that perspective. :)
I guess my perspective mostly comes from the RISE film festival, of which I've seen 3 or 4 now and is presented on a cinematic screen from which there is nowhere to hide! And I've witnessed a marked increase in the overall quality of films over that short time. Usually, photographically, Gin Clear's features are in a league of their own and with the gear they use, that's no surprise. Aquasoul represents the first time I was blown away by video quality other than that delivered by Gin Clear and to subsequently learn it was shot on a DSLR was a big surprise! Of course the locale helps! Bright sunshine, perfect blue water, spectacularly patternated and coloured fish are certainly exploited by a good camera.

None of this takes anything away from Tapam, of course. You guys achieved in that what few others did around that time, or since for that matter. It's the difference between a couple of guys with some photographic expertise and an eye for a good shot and a guy who just picks up a camera and starts shooting. But thanks for the history lesson, mate, that certainly changes my perspective a little. :)

Did Daniel shoot Gaula on a DSLR also, do you know?

What was your final evaluation on bluray as a release format? Do you think we're at a point where bluray-only releases are viable and we could skip DVD altogether?
JanMan

Film Thread

Post by JanMan »

Yes, Daniel still uses Canon DSLRs for all his work :-)

I haven't produced any movies since Tapâm (so take it for what it is), but I think we are at a point where any release on a physical disc could be skipped altogether. Blu-ray has about 4 times the resolution of a DVD, but streaming and digital download is what people are interested it. Especially now that 4K is fast becoming a new standard and people want to not only watch it on their big screen at home but also on their iPad or laptop or even their phone. Notice how many new laptops have a built-in DVD or BD drive these days?
Stu Jamieson

Film Thread

Post by Stu Jamieson »

Good point. Though I still haven't come around to streaming video and audio. That's most probably because I have satellite broadband which is slow and expensive!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Film Thread

Post by Paul Arden »

OK Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - some good bits but mostly a load of bollocks :p Why are the Salmon Flies being fished on the surface with Salmon rising to eat them like trout?! Anyway I wonder if the "Essential cast" (Snake Roll) was an intended internal fishing joke... Some of the humour was good, love-stories make me sick, I didn't think the fishing aspect was well researched. Not bad in the end.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Film Thread

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

JanMan wrote: Blu-ray has about 4 times the resolution of a DVD, but streaming and digital download is what people are interested it. Especially now that 4K is fast becoming a new standard and people want to not only watch it on their big screen at home but also on their iPad or laptop or even their phone. Notice how many new laptops have a built-in DVD or BD drive these days?
Hi Jan.
As far as I know those film makers offering both a) to buy a Fly Fishing DVD and b) to get the movie via streaming - yet get very little interest in streaming compared to the number of sold DVDs. That is what for example J. Sjölund told me.
At the moment - as far as I know - only small percentage have a television at home offering to present 4K (in Germany that is). Different in Denmark?

I think HD still will be great for several years? :)
Cheers
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Stu Jamieson

Film Thread

Post by Stu Jamieson »

Back Country: South Island

Following on from Back Country: North Island, Gin Clear now follow up with their South Island chapter and if you enjoyed North Island you'll find much to like here.

Like their previous film, South Island follows a bunch of ordinary Joes to their favourite remote spots and uncovers the natural wonders which are to be found there. Those who have fished New Zealand before will well recognise the beauty on display, while those who have not previously fished NZ will be booking flights post haste.

Over the years I've spruiked the extremely high production standard of Gin Clear films and well, frankly, I'm running out of adjectives. Suffice it to say that the same high quality can be found in this film. If you've seen a prior Gin Clear film, you'll know what to expect. If you haven't, jump in and be amazed at the captured visuals.

I've often decried the lack of bluray releases in the fly fishing genre especially when the production quality these days is so high. There's still no bluray release for Back Country: South Island BUT HD quality can be downloaded from Gin Clear's Vimeo channel so this is currently the preferred option for sourcing their films - and it's a fraction of the cost of purchasing the DVD to boot!

If there's a criticism of Back Country: South Island, it's that it is largely a rerun of the previous film albeit in different locations. There's less diversity in the Back Country series of films than in Gin Clear's previous films but this does not negate the great beauty depicted therein.

3 Lefties and a half Joan.
Jason Stratford

Film Thread

Post by Jason Stratford »

Good one Stu...and yep...fully agree with the sentiments re Gin Clear's production quality. Keenly awaiting their new release filmed at Lago Strobel (Jurassic Lake). https://vimeo.com/168570738
A perfectly laid down 60 foot cast will catch more fish than casting to the backing knot on your 120' fly line...particularly when most times you'll just throw an 80 foot 'wiggle cast'.

Return to “Photography”