PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Cortland long belly distance line

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

James9118
Answers: 0

Re: Cortland long belly distance line

Post by James9118 »

Lasse - are your 3 all within the AFFTA weight spec? How do they differ?

Cheers, James
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I’m also a little bit further (1-2’) with the MED. Maybe it’s because of the thinner running line with the RÍO. It’s been a while since I’ve thrown one but I thought my carry was longer with the MED. Has the RÍO always been a 75’ head? I know it’s one of those lines that other casters find that slightly outperforms the MED.

Many years ago I was involved in the line’s development. There was something about that line that I thought suited your previous technique, King Bart. There were at least two other prototypes that I thought better than both the MED and the one that was finally decided upon. I took them all to a Shootout in Sweden. Unfortunately by the time I submitted the results they had chosen the line they ultimately ran with.

I don’t like the 15lb core!!! I once had a MED on a 10lb mono core that was 150’ long. I could cast the entire line out. But I hated it!!!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

James9118 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:33 am Lasse - are your 3 all within the AFFTA weight spec? How do they differ?

Cheers, James
All three are within AFFTA for a 5. Two has thicker runningline, and longer than 75 foot heads. Also tapers are slightly different between all three. Two of them has very short transistions between parts of the head.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Paul

It used to be a 12 lbs core :p and yes, 75 feet head. My longest carry is done with the rio, 31 meters at sea level inddoors in Sweden.
I'm practicing with it at the moment, since it is the official line for the Danish championships, and I suck. Somehow I cant get over 130 feet with it, I know its me, but shifting to a MED 5 and hep there it is... my minds playing tricks on me :glare:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Cheers, Bart. That's interesting.

Has the Rio Gold Tournament gone out of production?

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
tomo

Post by tomo »

Hi Nick,
Ive fished the Cortland now for a few days. To me it feels heavy compared to the MED and Ballistic pro, however I have absolutely no science to back this up, Ive never weighed a line in my life. Without doubt it slows & deepens my HT6 even with short lengths of line. Obviously its a thicker line too. Now, Ive fished the MED solid for the last 2 years, so It could all be down to the taper.

Cheers, Tom.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

They’re easy to weigh, Tom. You just need some dealer’s scales! https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... 6-7or-an-8
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

tomo wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:29 pm Hi Nick,
Ive fished the Cortland now for a few days. To me it feels heavy compared to the MED and Ballistic pro, however I have absolutely no science to back this up, Ive never weighed a line in my life. Without doubt it slows & deepens my HT6 even with short lengths of line. Obviously its a thicker line too. Now, Ive fished the MED solid for the last 2 years, so It could all be down to the taper.

Cheers, Tom.
Hi Tom,

Thanks for that, that's interesting! :cool:

As Paul says, weighing lines is easier than you think, the salter ones in the article are actually very good!

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
DryFly

Post by DryFly »

Are their any new experiences with this line?
Has anybody weighted the line not only for 30´but also eg.for 15m?
How is the softness/stiffness of the long belly distance compared to the SA lines?
Thank you.

Cheers
Reinhard
tomo

Post by tomo »

Just started weighing a few of my lines using Nicks method (thanks mate). My Cortland long belly distance 6 averaged at 11.78g or 181.79 grains, or in other words a true 7 in the grains 'range'. I knew it felt heavier than a MED6 or SA trout 6 which I usually fish with (and they measured bang on..)

Cheers, Tom.

Return to “Tackle”