PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The New Semi Automatic Fly Reels

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: The New Semi Automatic Fly Reels

Post by Paul Arden »

Strange. I don’t know how the drag system on this reel works. Maybe it’s possible to adjust it that you can operate the lever under more tension. That would certainly help. But if the drag is set and the fish is spooling you, then it sounds like you need more backing. However not being able to reel in under tension is quite impractical for your usage and makes it very difficult to control the fish.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
bebob
Answers: 0

Post by bebob »

I think the basic problem is that semi automatic reels are designed to get a lot of line quickly back on the spool with only a couple of presses on the handle. They're not designed to pull fish in. You only have to look at the very small cog on the spool to understand this, one press of the handle will cause multiple revolutions of the spool. I find with the Vivarelli that if I have a lot of line out downstream in a strong current I can't retrieve line against the pull of the current. I have to pull the line upstream with the rod and then move the rod downstream while pressing the handle to retrieve line. I reckoned that the same tactic could be used while playing a fish but maybe I'm wrong since I've never tried it.
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

It looks like I'm stuck with the Mitchell 710 then which does bring line in in a strong current but as I'm not fishing in rivers anymore, it doesn't benefit me now in that respect. Keeping my finger on the trigger (of the 710) can hold a fish of about one and a half to two pounds without being able to bring it in and when the fish comes towards you it can bring in the line as it does so. A larger fish will take out line even with your finger on the trigger but you can still bring in line when the fish turns and comes back to you. However, you can only do that so many times because each time it pulls line out and you manage to get it back in again, the spring becomes weaker and needs rewound again which I'm not able to do with my one hand while holding the rod. Someone with two hands would be able to though. The semi-auto one sold by Decathlon can't prevent a fish taking line out and can't bring line in with a fish on even if it's heading towards you, the slightest resistance and it doesn't do anything. It can bring in loose line on a reservoir that you've casted out but that's all.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I wonder if it’s possible to modify this reel? There must be a way to make it operate under greater tension.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:23 pm I wonder if it’s possible to modify this reel? There must be a way to make it operate under greater tension.
Maybe there are some out there that can do that. There's very little information out there about any of them and there are hardly any semi-auto or full auto reels available to buy now either. One that worked like gears on a bike would be handy but probably not possible.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Not sure if this is any use but Vivarelli are still in business. Franco Vivarelli. The standard reel is 166 €
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

Terry wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:45 am Not sure if this is any use but Vivarelli are still in business. Franco Vivarelli. The standard reel is 166 €
Hi Terry, are you able to access their website? I have tried with every browser I have and haven't been able to get on it with any of them which is why I thought they were no longer in business. I've not been able to get on it for weeks, I don't know exactly how long it's been like that as I've never ever been on it.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Should be no problem Scotsman. Try https://francovivarelli.com/shop/
bebob

Post by bebob »

I'm afraid that spending money for Vivarelli is not going to solve your problem. The Decathlon reel has the exact same mechanics as the Vivarelli. I wouldn't like you to spend yet more money for nothing.
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

Terry wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:35 am Should be no problem Scotsman. Try https://francovivarelli.com/shop/
It doesn't work for me, either on PC or phone. Are you accessing from the UK or elsewhere? All I am getting is this:
"This site can’t provide a secure connectionfrancovivarelli.com uses an unsupported protocol.
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH"

and this on a different browser:
Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to francovivarelli.com. Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).

Error code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

Return to “Tackle”